Para-Spinnakering?

Moderator: GreenLake

Para-Spinnakering?

Postby hectoretc » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 am

Greetings all,
Not sure if this is a sails question or a misc. question or a pointless question. It certainly has almost nothing to do with anything being addressed in the past weeks/months.
I was flipping through some sailing website looking for something last night and I saw a picture of someone on a seat suspended under a spinnaker off of a larger boat.
[thumb=1108]
There are a good many things I need to learn about sailing in general before this becomes relavent in my future (I don't have a spinnaker either) but I'm curious if a DSII spinnaker is big enough to do something like that (spinnaker flying) and/or if anyone has tried it?
Just a curious thought... Thanks
Last edited by hectoretc on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby jdubes » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

I've never done it, but ever since the scene in the movie Jaws when they do this I've wanted to try it.

My guess is that the spinnaker might not be big enough. The issue is that the DS would probably capsize if you had that much force directly coming from the top of the mast. It's sort of like careening your boat on it's side. You can careen a DS very easily on land if you use the mast, never mind if you were on the water.
jdubes

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:04 pm

This definitely requires a keelboat (unless you want to combine this activity with a capsize recovery drill) and a larger spinnaker
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Sails