"Smaller" jib

Moderator: GreenLake

"Smaller" jib

Postby ChrisB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:19 am

Has anyone tried using a jib for a smaller boat (such as a JY15 or International 420) on those days when a reefed main and the standard DS jib is still too much? I don't care much for sailing under main alone but I don't have quite enough ballast for those 18+ mph wind days.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

I'd be interested in the use of a jib from a smaller boat. On the Texas 200 this year I sailed with a double reefed main all six days. The first 3 days we were able to use the jib with winds 15 to 20 knots (gusting to 25) most the time. The last 3 days the wind was too strong to use a standard jib, 20 knots plus gusting to 35 knots. A small jib would have been a nice option.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 pm

First, I'm going to link here the other discussion about a smaller jib under the title "recutting and old jib".

Second, I must confess that I also lack practical experience with such an approach, I'd be curious to find out in what situations this would prove advantageous.

Third, I've come across a discussion on another forum about slab reefing jibs. It works just like you might think. There's a second cringle on the luff to serve as the new tack when the sail is reefed. And a second cringle on the leech, to serve as the new clew. The loose material below those points is gathered into a roll and tied up along the foot of the sail.

That would seem a possible approach as well.

The one problem I can see is with jibs that have a luff wire.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jpclowes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:20 am

I always thought the jib from a Blue Jay would be a great storm jib, but I have never tried it.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby hectoretc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi all,
I think I've figured the question out from this and other posts already, but just to be sure I have it right.

In both the case of reefing the main and/or using an undersized jib, do you always keep the tack of the sail at the normal attachment point, and therefore ease off on the halyards to lower the head of the sail? (rather than raising the boom, or extending the tack attachment on the jig?)

I saw a picture somewhere, where a short line or chain was attached to the stemhead to raist the tack on (what must have been) an undersized jib so that the head was all the way to the jib halyard block.

Does it matter? Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:56 pm

For slab-reefing the main, the reefpoint becomes the new tack - you don't raise the boom.

If you raised the sail, the heeling force would get a better lever arm to heel your boat, not what you want when you reef.

For the jib, because it's on a diagonal, raising the jib also moves its center of effort back. That would compensate for a forward movement that's caused by the smaller jib being shorter front-to-back, so its center is farther forward.

A reefed main has a center of effort that's a bit further forward, so moving the center of effort for the jib towards the back might make a difference, but the cost would be some increase in heeling moment.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm

I put this to Intensity Sails, and they agree. Using a 75% (e.g., JY15) jib on a DS probably would not require changes in the jib leads. In theory, if you wanted to trim the jib in light air, you would want to move the leads forward. But in practice, if the wind dropped to the point where you could go back to a working jib, you'd do a headsail change, so the issue is moot. The leads are probably fine as they are.
talbot

smaller jib with club

Postby dannyb9 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 pm

i like the idea of a smaller jib with a 'club' (boom) on the foot. only one sheet, self tacking, and built-in whisker pole. i too singlehand often and enjoy the 'cruising mode'. the winds here are often brisk and i usually sail with main only while singlehanding. a clubbed jib would add a charming element to my sailing. its about the beauty : )
dannyb9

Return to Sails