Daysailer I Spinnakers Recomendations

Moderator: GreenLake

What type of spinnaker do you race with?

North
33%
Doyle
No votes
SLO
No votes
Jotz
67%
Intensity
No votes

Total votes : 3

Daysailer I Spinnakers Recomendations

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 pm

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge and add a spinnaker to our daysailer rig. We currently sail with a North main and jib and have been very happy with the performance so I just assumed I would add a North spinnaker. However, looking at pricing, the North and Doyle spinnakers come at a significant premium relative to Jotz, SLO, or Intensity. Does anyone have any experience or recomendations regarding the spinnaker performance from the different sailmakers? Is one design significantly better or worse than another?
JasonB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I don't race, except when I do. But it's not an event under class rules. My secret weapon there is a hand-me-down spinnaker from another class, which may well be a few inches oversize. Most liberating about the whole thing was knowing that I wasn't about to risk the destruction of a valuable sail while learning the ropes, so to speak.

My tentative impression would be that differences in design of a spinnaker would pale in comparison to not having one. And even if they existed, it would seem to require a certain expertise by the user before they would make a difference. If money is to be conserved, I'd suggest training for a season or two with an inexpensive used one.

Racing, as I do, in an event that cares nothing about class rules and measurements, and is frequently beset by lighter winds, I was tempted to spend money on a Doyle UPS (see threads about that sail). Instead, it seems I'll be switching to a faster hull in that venue (and back to using the DS strictly for daysailing).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

Jason,

I do not race so I can't speak to performance issues but I can give you some perspective on workmanship which may help in your decision.

In the last three years, I have purchased a main and jib from Intensity, and a Utility Power Sail (UPS/Drifter/Reacher) from Doyle.

The type of sailing I most often do is solo daysailing, 0-15 kn wind, sails trimmed for max boat speed rather than for comfort. Thus far I am quite satisfied with the Intensity sails. They are holding up well under regular use. That said, I would acknowledge the build quality of the Doyle is better and under equal usage, I would expect it to outlast the Intensitys. I am very happy with the Doyle sail as well but it has far fewer hours on it than the other two. Its a very difficult call as a spinnaker from North costs more than I paid for all three of my sails.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Sails