re-cutting the main

Moderator: GreenLake

re-cutting the main

Postby owldraco » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 pm

First, a disclaimer. This question/ idea is not for the purist with deep pockets. I am a cheap @#$% that likes to diy. The previous owner told me that the sails are blown. She sails relatively well with my meager skills. (Still can't get her to point where I think it should.)
Is it possible or even feasible to trim off the "shelf," perhaps a foot off of the foot? Maybe make it a loose footed sail or not?
Alternatively, what about making a new main from tyvek or polytarp?
(I also canoe sail with a rig and sails that I designed. It's not pretty, but it works)
Thanks
owldraco
DS II '84 (I think)
Central Ky[/quote]
owldraco

Postby GreenLake » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 am

The shelf at the foot most likely isn't where you lose performance. When the sails are "blown" their camber is too deep and/or moves too far back (in addition to other deformities). Those are the problems that interfere with pointing. For that you'd want your sails flat and the camber forward.

From reading around a bit, I believe there are some rig types that are more forgiving when it comes to sail material. The junk rig comes to mind, for example.

My gut feeling in this matter is that you might well be able to reach a performance similar to the existing, "blown" set of sails, but that I'd be surprised if you'd manage to exceed that in any meaningful way using DIY efforts with tarp or tyvek.

If your main goal is to sail your boat, and sail it well (you did complain about poor pointing) then I think you're better off getting a lesser-used set of sails and or one of the cheaper new sets.

If, on the other hand, the pride of having practiced the beginner's steps in some arcane craft is paramount, then I don't really want to argue with you about that - I just would rather build a centerboard or rudder, instead of making sails. After reading some descriptions of the process, my take away was that it's really tricky to control the quality of the results, because of the way you can't see any mistakes until you fly the sail. (And it's pretty labor intensive, so you won't be able to make several).

But if you do, we all would like to see pictures :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

blown main

Postby dannyb9 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 am

my old main developed a flapping leech because the back edge of the sail had stretched, causing it to flutter when sailing upwind. i put a 'dart' in the leech about 3' long, parallel to the boom and about halfway up the sail. i made the dart by folding about an inch of the back edge of the sail over onto itself to form a triangular fold -'dart'- about 3' long. i then stitched it in place by hand. you can google 'making polytarp sails' for directions. i think you might be better off by trying to reshape your sail than building another one out of polytarp. i've made a polytarp sail for my canoe (i sail canoes too : ) i doubt that i would try a 100 sf daysailer sail.
dannyb9

Postby GreenLake » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm curious whether that dart did more than just quieting the leech. Did you see any improvements beyond this one issue?

I can certainly see where nursing along an old sail in that limited manner makes sense. I wish I'd kept my old jib around - the new one's too stiff for really light airs.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby owldraco » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm

If I were to put a dart or modify the main where would it go? Or more likely leave it to the professionals$$. Other than that, where is a good place to get an inexpensive new or used one?
owldraco

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 am

New and (relatively) inexpensive sails for the DS can be purchased from Intensity Sails (www.intensitysails.com). Used sails can be found in the "for sale" section of this forum and from used sail dealers such as Masthead Sailing Gear, Bacon Sails, Second Wind Sails, and Atlantic Sail Traders.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby owldraco » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Mom and I are seriously contemplating purchasing a new sail from Intensity, unless I can find a "gently" used main from someone. (hint hint :-) Also we will probably send them our old main for their recycling program. I think I will save my DIY stuff for the MUCH smaller canoe sails.
Thanks
Andrew
Central KY
owldraco

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:17 pm

If you click on the "Daysailer.org Forum Index" above the blue-green bar, you'll see at the bottom a "want to buy" section.

Might want to register your interest in a sail there.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails