Sails--when to replace

Moderator: GreenLake

Sails--when to replace

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2001 9:09 pm

How do I know when I need to replace my sails?

Richard (rpolaw-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:26 pm

That is hard to say, it depends on how old are the sails, how well maintained, how much use (length of season), do you race, have any boats that should be slower than a DS passed you lately?
I'm still using the original sails on my 1979 DS II, but they were pretty well cared for by previous owners,
and the previous owner used the boat less in the 13 years that he owned her than I have in the last 5 years (total, I mean!). Before replacing the sails, bring them to a local sailmaker and have them check them and clean them, if they are too far gone..they will tell you. If the sails look "baggy" when sailing, even with every thing tight (outhaul, downhaul, halyard, boom-vang {if you have one}) then new sails may be a good idea. Sails should have a nice smooth airfoil shape when sailing, if they are baggy...they will not be as efficient (slower) and also..baggy or full sails will tend to make a boat heel further than flatter sails. Also, worn-out sails will not allow you to point as close to the wind.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Sails