Sail Care, Cleaning

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail Care, Cleaning

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2001 12:35 pm

I have old, yellowed, and stained dacron sails that came with my 1967 DS. I am looking for advice on cleaning them. Will standard detergents strip whatever resin may be left on the old dogs? Is a scrub brush, kiddie pool full of bleach detergent a good idea? What about a commercial tumble washer with "Ivory snow"?
Hey if I put them in a giant dryer, on HOT they might shrink back closer to their original shape! (or melt, I'll avoid that)
Any tips on Sail washing would be appreciated.

BARRY (bfk-at-SDcity.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:52 am

Barry,
Check out this site. They will clean, repair and recondition your sails for little money. A friend of mind has his done and was very pleased.
Dan

Dan Wilhelm (dwilhelm43-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:56 am

Barry,
Sorry I forgot to inclcude the site.

http://www.sailcare.com/

Dan (dwilhelm43-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2001 6:22 pm

I read some good cleaning and Sail care tips on "Sailnet".
No need to reinvent the wheel here. Check it out.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:40 am

"SailCare" treatment lasts about 5 years, according to them. Costs around $130.00 for DS sails, plus extra for any repairs. They "do" reef points, leech lines, draft stripes, #'s etc. First come first serve, current turn around time is 3 weeks, varies depending on workload at the plant. I'm going to give it a try.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:35 pm

I had Sailcare clean, repair and add reef points a few years ago...quite satisfied...batten pockets sewn...reefing really added sailing days for me, usually I'm a solo sailor.

pete tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Sails