Jotz Sails

Moderator: GreenLake

Jotz Sails

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:00 pm

Anyone with experance using Jotz Sails. Are these sufficent for casual racers. Would like a phone number to order Jotz sails through. What type of payment is accepted?

Help

Russell

Russell Smutzer (smutzerr-at-ev1.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:01 pm

I don't have a set of sails from Jotz, but from what I understand, several folks out on the west coast like them, including several class champions.

Apparently, Hank jotz doesn't have a phone number. To get in contact with him, you need to write a letter including your phone number. He will get in touch with you via phone and go from there.

Bob Hunkins (rhunkins-at-pdq.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:08 pm

That address would be:
Jotz Sails
P.O. Box 1072
Weaverville, CA 96093

Prices (from Autumn 2001 DS Quarterly):
5oz main $530
5oz Jib+Window $310
.75oz spinnaker $390
Windicators $12
Shipping $10

Bob Hunkins (rhunkins-at-pdq.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:22 pm

Jotz sails are very competitive, preformance and price. I have won the 97 and 99 NACR with a set I purchased in 1992. The new set I prichased last year was 1st at 2001 PCC's, against Dave K. and was very competive against the other brands at Annapolis last year, even though I was sailing in an untested borrowed boat. As Bob said, the biggest draw back is that you can only deal with him through snail mail. Usually if he has any questions he will call you, and clear them up. His cut works will with untapered masts, (I won pcc's in 1994 with a straight mast), and won the others with tapered sections.

Phill Root (ds2543-at-msn.com)

Postby bmcgihon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Hank has a website. You can get info and order forms there.

He has been making sails for many years, for many kinds of boats and is a National Champion El Toro, and 505 sailor.

His sails are very well made and definitly competitive.

Jotzsails.com is the address.

Brian McGihon El Toro sailor.
bmcgihon

Postby boone » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:35 pm

The Jotz website is linked on our sails page:

http://forum.daysailer.org/tech_sails.php
boone
Site Admin

Re: Jotz Sails

Postby Billh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:47 am

In 2009 I decided to build a San Francisco Great Pelican-16 and actually talked to Hank!

He's a great guy and very knowledgeable about lug rigs used on Pelicans. Based on my past experience I insisted I didn't want a lug, but he convinced me otherwise. Most of my sailing experience was on high-performance multihulls (Hobie-16 and a Corsair-28R) and having to move down to a Pelican with a wooden lug rig because I'm getting old was tough decision, but I solo in Nantucket Sound and needed a tough/safe daysailer.

Hank's advice and his sails are awesome - absolutely beautiful, smooth, the telltales lay down perfectly, the boat is fast (passes almost everything) and the main works perfectly when reefed. The jib seems to be cut very full (almost billowy), but it's very powerful and goes extremely well to windward. I'd love to see what Jotz 'multihull' sails would look like. I highly recommend Hank and his sails.
Billh

Return to Sails