Rolly Tasker Main Sail - The Sail Warehouse

Moderator: GreenLake

Rolly Tasker Main Sail - The Sail Warehouse

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:34 pm

I am new to Sailing, but have had two seasons of lessons on Solings at a club on Boston Harbor. Hence, I am still on a learning curve. Last year, I bought a 1981 DSII and the curve suddenly got steeper... I was relieved to have found this website. Since the DSII is my first Sailboat, I spent most of last season cleaning it up and did not launch it until 09-21-2001 due to excess layers of anti-fouling paint and a heavily oxidized layer of Gel coat. ...It was a short season. Which brings me to my issue: The Brown / Yellow / White paneled "DS" insignia Main (no hull numbers) that came with it is original, old, ugly as sin, and completely shot. In February, after shopping around for awhile, I bought a new Main from "The Sail Warehouse". The price for Rolly Tasker's "Standard / OEM" Main Sail was great @ $435.00 which included one set of reefs. It's 100% Dacron composition, has a nice coat of resin, and the boltropes and cringles are well attached. Given the price, their catalog was pretty specific in stating that it is a "Cruising Sail". Specifically, the specs do not match DSA regulations. The Luff, @ 21' 4", is 10" in excess of the Mast Band 2<>3 measurement of 20' 6"; the Leech, @ 23', is 1' 3" in excess; and the Foot, @ 10' 2", is 2" in excess of the Boom Band measurement of 10'. Therefore, it cannot be used for racing, which is fine since my ability at this stage is far from sailing competitively. My logic here is that I really don't know this boat very well yet, and I feel that I just need a "workhorse" Sail which can take some beginner's mistakes and accidental abuse without having to worry about damaging a significant investment as I overcome the performance learning curve. A lot of you guys have advocated saving your "good Sails" for optimal conditions or organized events. Although it seems that it would make for a great light air Sail, I am wondering if it will be too much Sail in heavier wind? In other words, will I need to be reefed constantly? Moreover, as a beginner, am I going to develop some bad habits using this Sail that I will only have to "break" when I eventually spring for a regulation Main? Therefore, I would be grateful for some feedback from anyone whom has some experience with a Sail with similar specs? Or, should I just bite the bullet and order the $725.00 regulation Main that Norm Cressey quoted to me at the New England Boat Show, here in Boston, in February?

Larry Driscoll (ldriscol-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:31 pm

Larry-

There are a lot of very nice used racing sails around at reasonable prices..that would be nice crusing sails, look good and you would still have sails that meet the DS specps. Most racing sails are upgraded or replaced for minor reasons, typicaly there might be a little leech flutter on the jib or maybe they seem slow to the owner. ( with the proper size sails you would not have to have the boom as low on the mast and the foot would not max out the boom ). When I buy a new set of sails they are hoisted every time we go out,I dont save them for special events. This is the only way to become familiar with them. The old sails are usually brought along as backup.

Racing sails will not have reef points, you should be able to have them installed localy if you need them.

Good luck with your sail selections.

Dave

Dave (misunas-at-sasquatch.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:01 pm

Dave,

Thank you very much for your advice and recommendation. I think that I have a solution for my problem. The issue somewhat relates to my failure to think "out-of-the-box". Specifically, when I first went to "The Sail Warehouse's" web site, under "Sail Search", I chose an "O'Day Daysailer II" in the "Select Boat Type" section. Hence, I got a hit on their CM21.4 Main Sail - -which is the one that I bought. However, yesterday while making a second inquiry, - -after reading your note-- I discovered that if you choose an "O'Day Daysailer I" in the "Select Boat Type:" section, a more preferable Sail is actually available:

Product Code Type Luff Leech Foot
CM20.5L O'Day DS I 20.50 22.50 10.00
CM21.4 O'Day DS II 21.40 23.00 10.20

In terms of DSA specs, while the Leech on the "CM20.5L is 8" longer, the Luff is just 1/2" under spec, and the Foot matches the boom band exactly. I have already been in touch with "The Sail Warehouse" to coordinate a exchange, and they were really helpful. Even though I won't be prepared to race for awhile, your note really made me think about the boom swinging around in the cockpit due to a 21'4" Luff. Hence, I am now looking forward to a better sized sail. Nevertheless, per your advice, I am now in the market for a set of used racing sails (without reef points) to use in late summer as my skill gets up to speed. In fact, last week, I bought a third edition copy of Dave Perry's "Winning In One-Designs" which I will use, along with this web page, to get some pointers. I am really looking forward to learning and getting the most out of my DS II this season!

Thanks Again.

Larry (ldriscol-at-aol.com)

Return to Sails