Care of sails

Moderator: GreenLake

Care of sails

Postby Guest » Tue May 26, 1998 12:00 am

Can anyone tell me if it is better to fold or roll sails when not in use. On my previous boat I had rolled the sails. The sails on the boat I have now had been folded by the previous owner and show the fold creases. I have recently been told that sails should ALWAYS be folded. I am not sure that this is good advice.

Ken Balentine (balen-at-bellatlantic.net)

Postby Guest » Wed May 27, 1998 12:00 am

I've crewed for several sailors of Flying Scots and Thistles. They have always rolled their pristine racing sails.

When I bought my DS 2, it came with an ancient pair of sails (which I still use). Like yours, these sails are folded, and have creases in them. My creases are so bad that they make it difficult to roll the sail. Since they're old, I just fold them.

If I buy a new set of sails for my DS, I definitely plan on rolling them.

Mike Boone (boonedocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 20, 1998 12:00 am

Does anyone have an idea for getting the creases out of sails. The previous owner of my DSI bust have stored rolled sails standing on edge for long periods. This put several rows of creases all along the sail. I have tried wetting them down and drying them flat, but the creases come back. I haven't tried a steam iron, I'm a bit afraid to do so.

Steve Max

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 06, 1999 12:00 am

My dad, an old WW II Navy vet who taught me how to sail, also taught me that a good sailor NEVER folds sails. I grew up on our DS 127 always stuffing the sails into their sailbags. It never occurred to me to roll them. I have new sails now and I continue to stuff them! Bonnie DS127

Bonnie Schaefer (butterflyknees-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 27, 1999 12:00 am

My mainsail came stored on the boom -- the guy from whom I bought the boat had a sail cover on the boom, and he just draped the sail back and forth over the boom as it came down, slapped the cover over it, and stashed the boom in the boat. I thought this was a remarkably bad idea -- it doesn't allow the sail to dry, and I also religiously rinse my sails and dry them before storing. I have the luxury of having several large oak trees in my yard, so I throw my anchor line over a branch about 20' up, tie it off to the head of the main, and haul it up -- this makes for easy rinsing and drying.

I'm also a "roller". Creases, especially over long periods of time, can become weak points in your sail because they permanently warp the polyester fibers at the point of the crease, which (as I understand it) inhibits stretching and weakens the fabric. I'm interested in Bonnie's "stuffing" method -- folks I know who camp and backpack do this for expensive down sleeping bags to avoid crumpling the down in the same place every time.

Greg Farley (farley-at-bio.fsu.edu)

Return to Sails