Reef points

Moderator: GreenLake

Reef points

Postby SCKDAYSAILER » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 am

Thinking of using SailRites Jiffy Reefing Kit to add a single reef to my mainsail. My question is, should I add two reef points to the mainsail?
SCKDAYSAILER

Re: Reef points

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Personally, I've been sailing with a single reef point, but my trips are short, close to shore, and I'm not often surprised by stronger winds. If any of those factors differ for you, go for a second set. If you plan on doing the Texas 200, go for a third set.

Basically, my thought would be that a second and third reef point should be aimed to let you deal with conditions that are way out of the normal range, but where you may need to sail your way home. Long-ish distance cruising, or places known for spontaneous conditions.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:46 pm

From a previous discussion we had here on the SailRite kit. I think their instructions for the relative placement of the new tack and clew are somewhat suspect. At least they don't seem to produce the same setup my sailmaker delivered. I've been trying to come up with a reason why he may have preferred a steeper angle for the boom. Unlike keelboats, we don't sail the DS at large angles of heel, so the usual motivation for raising the end of the boom (so it can't catch a wave) seems to me perhaps slightly less a concern. However, the DS main has battens, and they are angled down a bit. As the new clew is placed right below the lowest batten for the first reef point, it seems the boom needs to be angled a bit to allow that batten to lay flat against the boom with the sail reefed. that requires the new tack to be a bit lower than the 1" below horizontal that someone reported here from the SailRite instructions. But, who knows, there may be good reasons for doing it their way.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:22 pm

I have 2 sets of reef points, 1 at about 20% the 2nd is at about a little less than 40%. The sailmaker that installed the second set said he installed that set below 40% to make sure the batten would be flush to the boom when I reefed. Just as Green Lake said when I reef the end of the boom is not level. The new clue is about 2 inches above the new tack maybe a little more. Just eye balling it. On the 1st reef the new clue about an 1enche higher than the new tack. I really don't know why. My only guess is due to the battens are at a angle?
I sail mostly singlehanded about 95% of the time in Charlotte Harbor in S.W, Florida and lately it has been 15 knots and higher gusts. is I just tuck the higher reef point. As Green Lake said the second reef point depends on your local sailing conditions.
When the sailmaker put in my second set of reef points he made 2 cuts or slices which he reinforced on the foot of the sail towards the clue, to run the reefing line to the boom to secure it 1 for the 1st set 1 for the 2nd set. He told me I should never use an eye strap because it could be ripped out of the boom. I never had a problem using a eye strap. I believe the Sail Rite reefing system uses a eye strap. Of course if you have slugs on your foot, just tie the end to the boom between 2 slugs. Or use a eye strap.
He put 3 tie offs in the sail to secure the excess sail area to the boom. I never use them I just let the excess hang or tuck it in. He told me it is better for the sail to let it hang unless it is blocking your vission. Good luck with your project. John
jalmeida51

Return to Sails