Furling jib on not to furling jib, that is the question.

Moderator: GreenLake

Furling jib on not to furling jib, that is the question.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:38 pm

My sailing started a long time ago with the motor cycle of the sailing world, the wind surfer then to the BMW of the sailing world, or better known as the Hobie 16. Now I sail a 1970 VW camper Van better known as an O-Day Daysailer and I must admit, it is a slow sail but every bit as fun to sail as any of my other sailing toys. I LOVE THIS BOAT.
I do need your advice, I am in need of a new jib for my 1980 Daysailor. When I purchased the boat years ago, it came with the hardware needed to change over to a furling jib and I need to know from you if it is worth it or not.
I do sail where the winds can build during the day and at times have been forced to remove the jib just to get home. My wife calls this white knuckel sailing because she will not let go of the rail.
If you use a furling jib can you sail with it only opened say, half way?
Where in the cock pit do you feed the line used to roll the jib up.

Would I be better off replacing my jib with a regular one and having my old jib re-cut as a storm jib.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Jerry

Jerry (hobie16-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:07 pm

“I do sail where the winds can build during the day and at times have been forced to remove the jib just to get home.”

Jerry

I to have a 1980 Day Sailor, but mine is a Day Sailor I. The Day Sailor has a big main sail that gives it the most power. In my experience (since 1981) you need to keep the jib up to balance the boat Then you are over powered most important thing is to reduce the main sail area by reefing it. First set up your main for jiffy reefing, if you are over powered reef the main sail. If you are still over powered then reduce your jib.

Gus Heismann DS 11100

Gus Heismann (gus-at-heismann.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:04 pm

Gus, thanks for the reply.
Do you use a furling jib?
To reduce the mail sail area, my boom, while in the mast sleeve, can be pulled out allowing you to roll the mail sail thus reducing the area. I have seen photos of something called a claw that rolls up in the main and allows you to to sail this way.
Does yours do this or have you added reefing points to your sail.
Jerry

jerry (hobie16-at-yahoo.com)

Return to Sails