Genoa Sail for O'Day Daysailer

Moderator: GreenLake

Genoa Sail for O'Day Daysailer

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 19, 1998 12:00 am

Does any one have advise about installing a Genoa sail in lieu of jib. Can it be done? Do they make such a sail? Where do I find a sail maker? Will the performance be much better on low wind days?

Doug (dgard75443-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 23, 1998 1:00 am

Hi Doug,

I have a genoa on my DSII with roller furling. I'm not sure of the size, but it is small. The leech comes about a foor aft of the mast. If you want the measurements, send me an e-mail and I will check it out for you.

Paul

Paul Diglio (paul.diglio-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 24, 1998 1:00 am

My 77 DSII came with both a genoa and a jib, I assume it came with boat originally, I have never flown the Genoa but am eager to try, any tips would be welcome.
Don

Don (donshar-at-palmnet.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 27, 1999 12:00 am

My DSI came with a genoa when I bought it -- I'm the fourth owner, and I'm not sure it's original equipment. It does provide great performance on days when the wind is less than 10kts or so, but I've never flown it in anything heavier than that...

Mine is a 50% genoa, which (if I think about this correctly) means that it's 50% larger than my jib. It's a lot of sail on a little boat! When you go to make one, consider your local wind conditions when you're picking a size -- genoas come in sizes up to 100%, I think...

Greg

Greg Farley (farley-at-bio.fsu.edu)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 30, 1999 12:00 am

Greg wrote:

Mine is a 50% genoa, which (if I think about this correctly) means that it's 50% larger than my jib.

Greg,

I think a 50% genoa means the genoa is 50% the area of the main sail (half as big). Thus a 100% genoa would mean both main and genoa are the same size. Beyond 100% means the genoa is larger than the main, but I'm not sure if they still call it a genoa is such cases as I've heard people call such sails "head sails"... I'm no expert, so if any of this is wrong, please correct me.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, Texas
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 01, 1999 1:00 am

Headsail size when given as a percentage refers to the size of the sail compared to the size of the fore triangle. The fore triangle is that area bounded by the forestay, the mast and the deck.

So a 100% sail would be the same size (in square footage) as the fore triangle. In practice the "J" meassurement The distance from the base of the mast to the lower end of the forestay is used for the comparison number. It is compared to the "LP" (luff perpendicular) of the sail to compute the size.

I'd have to measure my DS (#4000) to be sure but say it has a 6'-0" J. Then a sail that measured 6'0" from the clew to the luff (the LP distance) would be a 100 per cent sail.

Bob Torson (safehbr-at-pioneer.net)

Headsail size when given as a percentage refers to the size of the sail compared to the size of the fore triangle. The fore triangle is that area bounded by the forestay, the mast and the deck.

So a 100% sail would be the same size (in square footage) as the fore triangle. In practice the "J" meassurement The distance from the base of the mast to the lower end of the forestay is used for the comparison number. It is compared to the "LP" (luff perpendicular) of the sail to compute the size.

I'd have to measure my DS (#4000) to be sure but say it has a 6'-0" J. Then a sail that measured 6'0" from the clew to the luff (the LP distance) would be a 100 per cent sail.

Bob Torson (safehbr-at-pioneer.net)

Wow, we finally got the genoa right. All headsails (jib, genoa/jinny) are measured as % of J. My understanding from more experienced sailor/racers is that a jib becomes a "Jenny" at 125%. I've raced on Ensigns that used a 150% in winds up to 18 kn (not at my recommendation!)& that makes those heavy boats really move- if you can make an Ensign really move!
More recently, I've crewed on a DS16 & we race with what is probably a 125 but appears to be a 135. I'd like to use a 150 here with 10-12 kn winds. Should be a hoot. I will want to do that when my boat gets itself sailing again.
You should have no problem with having a 150 made for you- it's not too much different from others.
BUT you might get the three primary sail measurements & contact a used sail shop for a larger sail from another class, if you're not racing with it. The price will be right or more right! You'll find them in the back of Sailing World or your local sailing rag.
Good Luck.

Lynn Larremore (elynn1141-at-aol.com)

Return to Sails