How to make my red hull shine again

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

How to make my red hull shine again

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Hi everyone
I have a 1980 d/s II with a red hull, the color is fading any ideas how i can make it look new again.

Thanks

AL Villar (weddingcam-at-optonline.net)

Postby Roger » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:59 pm

Red seems to be that color that fades fastest in the sun. I would suggest repinntind if polishing and buffing does not restore the luster. Of course you might find that the rest of the hull starts to look a bit drap once you paint the waterline. One good repair leads to another.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:39 am

I also have a 1980 Daysailor II with the Redish Orange color and nothing really seems to work to get the original color back. I've used an electric buffer and have used it with a little luck both cleaning and polishing but after the season is over it looks the same as before (dull and chaulky). A friend said after you clean and polish the hull to spray it with Armor All to make it shine but I don't know what it will do to the fiberglass. If you do find a way past on the info.
Thanks. Dan

Dan Wilhelm (dwilhelm-at-drc.com)

Postby psness » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:14 am

I'm buying an old DSII with an orange hull that is faded and chalky, and plan on re-painting it white!
psness

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:50 pm

I also just bought a 1980 DS, with the green/blue paint job. Can anyone give some instructions on repainting to freshen up her looks. Thanks

David (davideberbach-at-aol.com)

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:21 pm

Cut and paste the URL of the site listed below for info on how to facilitate that paint job. Also do a search on this forum on the topic and you will get lots of ideas. Much will depend on what kind of prep work you have to do first. It may be as simple as a wash and quick sanding to create a good bed for adherance, or it may be as complex as taking off some caustic antifoulant before making fg repairs prior to a paint job.

http://boonedocks.net/talkboard/talkboa ... msgid=3964

The type of paint you use will depend on what kind of waters you sail in and whether you leave you boat in the water for the season or dry sail her.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:16 pm

Thought I'd weigh in this, I decided to try painting my hull. Compounding didn't work, I bought the Interlux video on hull painting at West Marine. The sound quality was lousy but it was well worth the $22. Following the instructions, I sanded the transom with a palm sander and 220 grit sand paper, then wiped it with water followed by a solvent wipe down, then a coat of primer and two coats of finish paint (single part polyurethane-Brightside) the trick is to thin the finish coat with the correct solvent and to use a badger hair brush, I used a foam brush for the first coat of finish paint and didn't cut it with solvent, I also didn't prep the boat thorougly you can still see some of my epoxy repairs, the devil's in the details, and so while it loooks 100% better than before I will probably strip it in the Fall and re-paint when I'm not in such a hurry.

Greg Ciampa (gciampa-at-cox.net)

Return to Day Sailer II Only