Storing upside down?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Storing upside down?

Postby db4570 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

I am thinking about storing my DS upside down for the winter. Where I store it is very windy and it is a pain to keep a tarp on it.

I understand I would need to cover the CB slot.

Would I be able to safely store it turtled, if I had a cradle to support it and keep the cuddy off the ground?

I'm also thinking about selling it, if anyone wants to buy it and save me the trouble.

Thanks,

David
db4570

Re: Storing upside down?

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:33 pm

I don't see a reason why you can't store the boat upside down on sturdy saw horses or even a few old tires. If frost is possible, you need to be really sure the CB trunk can't fill with water.

If you are tired of your boat, or can't get any good use out of it, there's a "for sale" section on this forum. You are welcome to offer your boat there.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby db4570 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:46 am

I like the tires idea. It seems they would conform to the contours of the boat a bit.

I wonder if I could find an old tractor tire that would be big enough to raise the cuddy off the ground.

The only problem is getting rid of the old tires in the spring.

Thanks for the idea.

David
db4570

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 pm

Just stack some tires or put them on a wooden pedesta like a pallet. Each support needs to hold about 300-350 pounds (assuming that the weight isn't perfectly distributed). That's not really all that difficult to support. A sheet of styrofoam on a wooden base may also give you a bit of cushion.

If you use tires, keep them around for the next winter. They won't go bad.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby db4570 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm

I picked up a big tractor tire for under the bow, and a smaller truck tire for the stern. This seems like a perfect solution. I might get a couple more tires for along the sides for extra support.

I sealed up the centerboard slot with Gorilla duct tape. I have had great luck with this stuff. Some years ago I used it to re-attach the torn-off bumper on my car that I was too cheap to replace, and it lasted two years. I may add another layer of plastic and tape just to be safe.

Thanks for the suggestion!

David
db4570

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:52 pm

Make sure your bilge is drained before you put your boat away. Good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only