New cuddy cover!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New cuddy cover!

Postby RaleighRancher » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:16 am

Thought I'd share the DIY cuddy cover that my daughter and I recently made. I followed the basic instructions in a video by Sailrite showing how to make a companionway cover, though with some minor "adaptations" (aka mistakes). I'm very pleased with it, though no one will accuse me of having paid a professional to make a custom cover. I wish it had come out a little more taut. I chalk that up to installing the snaps in an iterative way and not taking advantage of the snaprite system from Sailrite. When this one wears out I'll do it right.

The fabric is Sunbrella "Odyssey Brown." I could only purchase it online, which meant I could not be sure it would match the brown in my 1984 original "Earth Tone" mainsail. It came out pretty good - same basic hue of brown but a little lighter than the brown in the sail.

I thought about adding a mesh pouch to it to serve as a rope bag for halyards, but realized (a)that's another complexity and (b)I can just undo a snap on the top and drop the excess halyard into the cuddy.

I used marine silicone caulk on all the screws into the bulkhead.

RaleighRancher

Re: New cuddy cover!

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:17 pm

Nice. Is that intended for underway or are you planning to leave it exposed when the boat is stored?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RaleighRancher » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:42 pm

The boat is stored under a cover in my driveway, and the boom has to stick into the cuddy when in storage or trailering, so this is mainly for underway. I don't imagine it will be watertight - mainly for looks (which is paradoxical considering the appearance of the rest of the boat, but I can dream!).
RaleighRancher

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:51 pm

Yeah, hides any clutter, but should also hold off driving rain or spray from getting into the cuddy.

Color scheme, you say it works with your sail color, so that should make it look even better.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only