Oars

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Oars

Postby pbobbitt » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:48 am

Yeah, just a few pounds can trim a hull.

In the end, when rowing, you want the boat to glide straight through the water, and NOT have the boat 'weathervane' in the wind.

this weathervane effect happens when the hydrodynamic center of force is significantly fore/aft of the center of boat. To keep it pointing forward, you want the pin of the weathervane to be foward, so that the aft of the boat follows the wind.

Moving the CB up or down a an inch or two will slide that COF fore or aft.

Since I was sitting with my butt foward of the centerboard jib cleats, with my back to the bow, I could easily trim the CB when I noticed Weathervane drift.

You are right though: if you have more weight on either side of the boat, you won't go straight... I'm pretty sure that this because the curve of the hull will create a lift on the high side, since there is typically more curve under water on the low side... if that makes sense.

So: sit in the center, weight a little forward of Hydro COF, use the CB to trim as needed, keep the oars applying force behind the hydro COF.

stow the tiller, all it does is make the turns more dramatic, and harder to control, honestly.
pbobbitt

Postby Kylo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:43 am

I have rowed quite a few miles in my DS II. With a six foot beam, you need longer oars than what will fit in the cockpit. Mine are close to ten feet, with a carbon fiber ferrule so they break down to half the size, and fit in the cuddy. I bought the ferrules at Duckworks. The oars were some heavy duty drift boat style, bought second hand. I whittled them down to lighten them up a bit, but are still pretty beefy. I moved the mid boom sheeting aft to open up the cockpit and allow "motor sailing" with the oars in light winds. You can do a few strokes of the oars in a lull, build up your apparent wind, and it can push you into the next puff, when you would normally be at a dead stop. Nice for areas where you might like to observe wildlife, quietly, as well.
If I need to cover some miles, and there is no wind, I will fire up the outboard. Nice to have different options. Oh yeah, don't forget about adding a sculling notch on the transom!
Kylo

Postby Kylo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 am

As to the rudder, with it pulled up, there is a bit that still drags the water, but it can help with direction. I have a homemade tiller tamer that I set with a bit of tension, a nudge with my foot on the tiller now and then keeps me pointed in the right direction. A bench spans over the centerboard, and oarlock sockets are mounted on the outside coaming edge.
Kylo

Postby pbobbitt » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:18 am

Yeah, I could imagine longer oars would be helpful. the angle was really too steep, as the oar locks kept popping out.

I'll check out the folding oars, I didn't even consider them as an option.

Yeah that it dangles a bit is why I'm considering just pulling the rudder. My hope is that I'll only be rowing in 0-3, so it pulling it shouldn't be too hard.

And yes, for longer bay trips, I'll definately be using an outboard. I really wouldn't wan't to row it for more than two miles...
pbobbitt

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only