Portlights/Hatch for Cuddy?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Portlights/Hatch for Cuddy?

Postby Fozzybond » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:13 pm

Since the cuddy of my DS2 is dark and somewhat airless, I have been contemplating putting a transparent hatch or some opening portlights in. Has anyone done this or contemplated doing so? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Fozzybond

Re: Portlights/Hatch for Cuddy?

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:43 pm

The easiest thing you could do for natural light is to tape a circle or oval area on both the outside and the inside of the deck and sand off the paint. The bare laminate is translucent and at least for light it will work like a window. This way you don't need to mess with any fittings or deal with the need to seal things. Suggested position would be on the side or front of raised portion of the deck. (You may want to consider a curtain or cover on the inside, if you want the option to keep the sunshine out).

Because the space is so small, a 12V fan at the opening would remedy any airflow issues.

I'm curious though, about your planned use of your cuddy. I've seen kids spend time there to get out from underfoot during a passage, or to take a nap, but most adults, if they want to spend time on the boat, for example overnight, tend to prefer a boom tent and some form of sleeping platform constructed using or on top the cockpit seats.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fozzybond » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:58 am

Hi GreenLake,

I appreciate the feedback! I do like the idea of just sanding through the paint/gelcoat. I agree that seems the easiest thing to do. I'm not sure what I want to do with the cuddy yet exactly. I bought my DS as a family boat, but as it happens, it looks like she's becoming more of my personal escape instead. That said, I'm only 5' 6", so for me, the cuddy could be a legitimate "cabin" of sorts. I'm fascinated by what others have done with theirs, and have certainly already modified mine by adding lazy jacks, upgrading a bunch of the hardware and will be embarking on some gelcoat and other superficial repairs soon. I am also looking for more about the CB lift that some have installed, or may have become standard. Mine is just a single line with a single block attached to the stainless wire on the CB and it's a pain to work with. My hull is older, but it looks like the previous owner did know something of these posts and made some modifications over time to keep pace. I have a picture of something that someone suggested for portlights in another forum, but I'm not sure how to post it here. I find that these conversations and written directions are great, but I need a visual. Thanks for the thoughts, I'd be happy to keep this conversation going.
Fozzybond

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:22 pm

Suggestions for the different ways of posting images can be found in these instructions.

I totally get you on the challenge of squaring the original plans for the purchase with whatever turns out to be the best fit in the actual circumstances. Having a personal escape may be something you don't fully appreciate the need for until you have the ways and means for it. I find that time on the water can be wonderfully restorative, and I definitely need my regular fix. However, I don't have to be by myself; I love sharing this with others. Family members don't always share that motivation, but sometimes it's a matter of presenting the right incentive. Which can be as simple as an ice cream at the destination, or going out to dinner at a "special" place after an evening sail.

My general advice when it comes to modifications, whether for rigging or anything else, is to try out various things, if possible, without permanent modifications and just gain a bit of experience with what works and what doesn't. I'm excepting a bit the standard improvements for CB control, because you can get very good descriptions here and the need for them does no depend on how you want to use your boat.

The only expedition style sailing I have done on a DS (not mine) involved packing gear, food and a full supply of water for 6 days with reserve and spare parts. After that the cuddy was full. We camped on the beach instead of trying to stay on the boat. Looks like I'm a bit taller than you, and the only time (other than for repairs) that I've gone into the cuddy was to get out of the rain. If I ever felt like setting her up for sleeping at anchor, I would probably rig a small shelf that would turn one of the benches into a sleeping platform. And maybe another, smaller one, to create a "galley" space or table.

For the sleeping platform, essentially, one would fill in the space between bench and center board trunk to the same level as the seat. And make the parts of it so they collapse small enough to be kept in the back of the cockpit. For cover, I would look for adapting something like a small tent, rather than trying to work with using a tarp as a boom tent. I've read a number of descriptions here and depending on what you can get your hands on, there's ample latitude for very creative solutions.

My suggestion: keep the discussion here focused so it (roughly) matches its title, and if you want to discuss specific other mods, just start a new one. That makes it easier for other people to find information that they are looking for.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fozzybond » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:49 pm

I was perusing the gallery and came across the photo of the DS Barnacle with some pretty sweet looking portlights. Looks like that owner just cut holes in the cuddy side to a nice shape and then either 'glassed or somehow affixed some dark colored lenses behind. I like that idea, but wouldn't be sure how to go about that version. Maybe I just need to get gutsier.
Fozzybond

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:09 pm

Beckson makes 4-inch clear plastic screw-out inspection ports, here:

https://defender.com/en_us/beckson-scre ... ction-port

Not the biggest opening in the world, but you'd have extra light with the port closed, and airflow with it opened.

Come to think of it, you could place bigger ones in the cuddy roof.
Alan

Postby Fozzybond » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks a ton for this thought! It's simple and pretty straightforward. Definitely something to consider!
Fozzybond

Return to Day Sailer II Only