Main Sheet and Outhaul

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Main Sheet and Outhaul

Postby psness » Fri May 28, 2004 7:50 am

I recently bought a 1979 DSII and need a main sheet and outhaul line. Any suggestions on length, type and size of line to use? I can probably measure fairly easily for the outhaul, but don't have a clue as to how long the main sheet should be as I have never sailed before and don't know how much is needed for letting the sail out. My main sheet rigging includes a small block on the boom and a dual (small/large) block and cam cleat on top of the cb trunk.

Also, is the short line attached to the front of the boom just cleated to the mast to keep the boom from rising and is the foot of the main snapped into the boom shackle?
psness

Postby Roger » Sat May 29, 2004 1:19 am

The mainsheet is 44 feet long. I have the same set up as you describe. It is 5/16 Samson's braid

You asked if the short line attached to the front of the boom just cleated to the mast to keep the boom from rising (the answere is yes, is is also used to tighten hte luff after you have raised the main all the way. It stretches down the lower part of the luff) and is the foot of the main snapped into the boom shackle? (Yes)
Roger

Postby Roger » Sat May 29, 2004 1:22 am

and the outhaul is 3 feet of 3/16 dacron.
Roger

Postby psness » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:59 pm

Roger, Sorry to be bouncing between forums. 44 feet versus 23 feet is a big difference. Why? Which is correct for the rigging configuration we have on a DS II?
psness

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:39 pm

That's okay, I am bouncing between forums as well. It seems I see familiar names on both including familiar messagess, so I don't think we are the only ones.

I pulled the 44 feet from the bound pages that I have collected from internet downloads. Altogether it is my makeshift reference manual for the daysailer. Unfortunately I passed that number on to you, without measuring my own boat's mainsheet in the driveway. In hindsight, 44 feet does seem a bit long. On another forum Rod, corrected ths fact, with the notation that 44 feet was the length of the DS 1 mainsheet. I would assume that that is for a end boom mount going down to a rear traveller, although that was not mentioned. That still seems to be a bit long however, as I can only visualize antoher 5 feet tot he back of the boom, then another five feet down to the traveller!?

Sorry for the misinformation. I have changed the information in my book as well.

Roger
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only