Sail Numbers

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail Numbers

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 20, 1998 1:00 am

I have just purchased a 1973 Day Sailer II. This boat has no sail number. How can I find out what the sail number is?

Richard C. Schneider (richard-at-apimarine.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 06, 1999 12:00 am

I have heard that if you buy a DS that comes with original sails it won't have a sailnumber. My DSII doesn't have a sailnumber either so I think it has its original.

Nathan (Natedog710-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 11, 1999 12:00 am

My DSII has a serial number of XDY12715E484. The sail number is 12715. I think the digits in the center are the number, hence the older boats have a numerically smaller sail number.

Paul Diglio (paul.diglio-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 1999 12:00 am

The sail number as it was explained to me is optional. Paul's set could be original but also could be replacements. His boat is an 1984 by its s/n. Do you have a sail bag? Look on it as it may have a number that matches your s/n or if like my 1974 no it doesn't and niether do the main or jib match.The main sail I have now has a orange stripe about 2/3 of the way up with the DS in white sewn there.My jib has the mylar window in it also.

Jim Brown (rasp-at-fuse.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 1999 12:00 am

The sail number as it was explained to me is optional. Paul's set could be original but also could be replacements. His boat was built in 1984 by its s/n. Do you have a sail bag? Look on it as it may have a number that matches your s/n or if like my 1974, no it doesn't and niether do the main or jib match.The main sail I have now has a orange stripe about 2/3 of the way up with the DS in white sewn there, no numbers. My jib has the mylar window in it also.

Jim Brown (rasp-at-fuse.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 1999 12:00 am

My Spindrift DS1 did not come from the factory w/ sail numbers either, only the "DS". I think most people simply add the numbers to their sails when and if they start racing. That's what I did...$2 per number at my local sail loft. They stick on just like a decal.

Dallas, Texas
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 1999 12:00 am

I've got XDYD65600473. The DS on the mainsail (a well aged ODay made by Neil Pryde) is red like the hull, but the 6560 (stitched on) is black. Original? Also, do I read the hull number as zero-473 or oh-473?

Bob Pierce (bob-at-bobware.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 22, 1999 1:00 am

Day Sailer Hul Id Number;
(only applies to boats 1973 model year and later)
XDY = O'Day XXXXX = hull/sail # mine is 10201 M = model year format 79-E= model year and month (A = August, B = Sept., C= Oct. etc) mine was built Dec 1978. XDYxxxxxMYY-(A,B,C, etc)
for 1984 and newer; date was MMYY format
XDYxxxxxMMYY

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2000 1:00 am

I am in the need of a new mainsail for my daysailer 11. Used is fine with me as i am just cruising around a small lake. Thanks Mike

Mike Curtin (curtin-at-worldpath.net)

Return to Day Sailer II Only