Hanging Netting in the cuddy

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hanging Netting in the cuddy

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:12 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hang nets in the cuddy of a dsII. I'd like to get some things off the floor of the cuddy and to keep things from tipping while heeling. I'd rather not build a frame, if I don't have too, but I'm nervous about putting holes in her. Thanks in advance any help.
Dave

David Eberbach (DavidEberbach-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:16 pm

Someone in another post on another topic mentioned gluing blocks of wood/plywood to the hull surfaces with sealant adhesive. As the poster pointed out, most of these can be made to release with a putty knife and, if they are recalcitrant, they will certainly give it up to a heat gun.

I immediately thought of net bags to hold stuff and laundry-basket tie-downs--all kinds of stuff! Looks like something good to do this weekend. And then go sailing.

Bob Rowe (rowerw-at-comcast.net)

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:15 pm

I bought two cargo hammocks in the auto section at GI Joes. Unwound--opened up--one end of each and secured the other looped ends to hooks in the forward bulkhead. Using .16" nylon line, I wove the inside edge of the hammocks together as far aft as possible. I secured the outside aft corners of the hammocks to hooks just forward of the thwart, and wove .8" line through the now continuous aft edge of the joined hammocks. Finally, I overlapped some light webbing over the .8" line for a more durable edge. Bungied up the center of the aft edge for a snug fit. After some adjustment, the result is a tight, light-weight shelf which keeps spinnaker, spare clothing, and life jackets both accessible and dry.

Pleased as punch.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:51 pm

Sounds like an interesting solution, but I'm having a little difficulty visualizing it. Do you have sketch of this that you would be willing to share?

Bruce Klos (zoomtoo-at-peoplepc.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only