One Piece Mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

One Piece Mast

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 17, 1999 1:00 am

Im not sure if I have a DS I or II. Maybe you can help me. We picked up a 1973 Oday 16' a few years ago. I am having a problem puting up and taking down the mast. Ours is one piece, I've seen others with a hinge. Is the hinge sold as a kit? Is it something I can get done at a weld shop? Is there a trick to putting the mast up? Any help would be great.

Bob Williams (swpny-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 18, 1999 1:00 am

I have a '67 DS with a 1 piece mast. I've had little trouble raising it with one assistant. Stand adjacent to the cuddy and have your assistant feed you the mast, top first while you "walk" your hands up the mast. The assistant holds the base of the mast and walks it into a vertical position adjacent to the boat, its easy to hold up at this point. Make sure the mast step is clear. Lift the mast over the hole in the cuddy and the assistant guides it to the proper position into the hole, and lower it down to the step. A little "foreward and back a bit" and it should seat properly. Attach shrouds, adjust tension, and ENJOY! Removal....it helps to twist the mast in place ot help free it from the step, after that pull it out, keep it vertical lower the butt to the ground (rubber floor mat for padding) and have the assistant walk the end of the mast to horizontal. I read of some daring soul who does this alone, I guess if your fast there is a "slim" chance of smashing the mast, but why risk it?

Barry (bfk-at-sdcity.org)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 19, 1999 1:00 am

Lots of advice in this discussion group, use Search on "hinge" or try:

http://www.boonedocks.net/cgi-bin/miva? ... er+253#253

Fair Winds

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 19, 1999 1:00 am

I am one of those daring souls.

Standing on the cuddy cabin top I pick up the mast at its center of balance from its resting place along the centerline of the boat. Turning 90 degrees I place the butt end of the mast on the ground. At this point the mast is already almost upright. I pull the mast upright, lift it straight up and place the butt end on the deck along side of the chainplate. I reposition myself so I can lift it again and get the butt end on the hole in the cuddy cabin. From that point on it is easy to lower it carefully and seat it on the mast step.

Reverse the process to unstep the mast. Lower the mast successfully requires one to reach as high as possible up the mast when one brings it from vertical to horizontal. But that is not as hard as it sounds as that point is approximately the center of balance. The effort required to lower the mast is, in my mind, less than that required to keep the mast from falling on something by lowering with its butt end held on the ground by an assistant.

Keith A. Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 21, 1999 1:00 am

Keith's method is right. You just need to practice doing a lot. Doing it 1 or 2 times a year isn't enought. I've been stepping my one peice mast by myself on my Rebel Day Sailer One, 1 or 2 times a week since 1981. However if you really want a mast step, go to this site's home page and click the Dwyer Mast link to find your mast step.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 23, 1999 1:00 am

OK< I'll give it a try! (on grass) I was unclear regarding lowering the mast. Pass the butt end to the assistant who walks the mast away from the boat, while you walk your hands up the mast, lowering the mast to a position where it is balanced, or in control to mount in its traveling position. Maybe I'm just a chicken, but to me it makes sense to keep the spar under control, if the people are there to help.

Barry (bfk-at-sdcity.org)

Return to Day Sailer II Only