It works! Just installed mast hinge

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

It works! Just installed mast hinge

Postby jackson2191 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:31 pm

I had a keel-stepped mast which took me and at least one other adult and several prayers to step each time. Several frightening incidents both going up and coming down. So I searched these forums, talked with Rudy at D&R Marine, ordered his mast hinge, and within 2 weeks the problem is solved. Last saturday, myself and my 11 year old son stepped the mast with no problems. It seems like I almost have a brand new boat!

The hinge, with shipping, cost around $73. I used a hacksaw and a powerdrill for installation. I'm a pretty handy guy (I make my own furniture) so this job was fairly easy. If you've never used these tools before or if you don't have a lot of experience it could be more challenging. Rudy even included for me pop-rivets in case I wanted to use those instead of screws.

The hinge Rudy sells you is actually a compilation of Dwyer parts. If you go to Dwyer's website and know what you are looking for you could obtain the parts cheaper. But Rudy includes some good instructions and helpful tips, plus he does all the shopping for you. What you get is exactly what you need and it all works together.

If you were in my predicament-- a keel stepped mast through the cuddy that you needed to unstep after each outing-- I wholeheartedly recommend this improvement. It works!
Chris.......................
jackson2191

Return to Day Sailer II Only