DSII Centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSII Centerboard

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 25, 1999 1:00 am

I own a 1984 DSII and had trouble lowering and raising the centerboard. I put the boat on it's side this winter and removed the centerboard. I have a rope to lower the board and a 5/32 cable to raise it. It pivots on a nylon pin which is held in place by 2 wedge shaped inserts secured to the bottom of the hull. My pin was worn. I purchased a new 1" pin made from a nylon-kevlar composite, which is extremely resistant to wear and self-lubricating. I also moved the mount for the cable to raise the centerboard aft about 6'. In its original position, it is adjacent to the pivot centerline, which provides little leverage. I had a great deal of trouble raising the board to the full up position. The additional leverage afforded by moving the mount aft greatly facilitates raising the board. I installed a eye bolt where the original mount had been, to keep the cable in the center of the board.
I had to install a new 5/32" cable. I made provision to run the rope to operate the centerboard aft along the bottom of the starboard seats so that I can control it from the tiller. I plan to purchase/make some kind of hand-crank that will keep the board in any position I set it without having to cleat it. As I often sail alone, this will be a godsend. I'll post an update when I have that portion figured out. If anyone wants to know where to get the nylon-kevlar pin or wants a bitmap drawing of the centerboad, e-mail me and I will send the info to you.

Fair Winds,

Paul

Paul Diglio (paul.diglio-at-erols.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only