Centerboard Pivot Bolt

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Pivot Bolt

Postby Gorrion » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:52 pm

As a new sailboat owner ('74 O'Day DSII), I can't tell you how much I have learned from this forum already! Now it's my turn to ask for some help. I am attempting to stop the notorious DSII inner hull water penetraton. Purchased a new centerboard bolt, SS washers and rubber washers. I also detrailered her today in order to remove the centerboard to install pipe nipples through the hull for the centerboard lines. Question: When I install the pivot bolt, am I better off slopping marine grease around, in between and over the whole bolt assembly and components, or should I just place a healthy amount of silicone between the centerboard trunk and the rubber washers? I will verify firsthand that the boat will float at or above the waterline even with the inner hull filled with water, but I am hoping to fix the problem once and for all. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
-- steve --
Gorrion

answers

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:10 am

I think I have some answers for all three of your questions. First of all, like you, I assumed that the notorious leak was from the pivot bolt. After today, I no longer think that is the case. Of course that is only after I have installed new rubber washers and inspected (via digital camera) the holes with the pivot bolt out. There does not appear to have been any leakage there, and no apparent cracks in the cb trunk near the holes, in the washers themselves or water stains below the pivot bolt hole. I did not use grease nor silicone.

You may recall last year that I installed a nipple in the uphaul hole. I placed an inspection port in the sole of the cuddy near the front of the cb trunk so that I could inspect that area. I was able to point the camera straight up into the gap between the cb trunk and the cuddy portion of the cb trunk forward. I have included a link to this picture, and lo and behold there is still a bit of a gap there. (That would explain how water managed to get in AFTER my nipple fix.) Tomorrow, I am removing the nipple, adding some silicone to the forward lip of the nipple so that it seats into some silicone, reinserting the nipple, and following that, stuffing some epoxy putty up into the gap and around the lower part of the nipple. I can just reach it with my finger from this new inspection port.

Finally, your last question... yes the boat will float with the bilge full of water and another several inches in the cockpit. This I know from experience. It floats just above the waterline.

Here is that link to the gap between the cb trunk and liner. You are looking straight up the forward part of the cb trunk. You can see the nipple threads and at the 5:00 o'clock position ... the gap that still exists at the nipple!

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=176
Roger

Postby psness » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:44 am

I had the same problem last season (first year of ownership and sailing). Scratched my head many time, considering the bolt, the uphaul hole, even the self bailer. I ruled out the bailer (I sealed everything shut) and uphaul hole since my boat would start taking on water the second I was backed off the trailer and sitting in the water (so it's not coming from splashing). In the few minutes it took to get situated and the sails ready to sail off, there would be a 1/2 inch of water in the bilge.

At the end of last season I tightened the bolt (as much I felt prudent) and sprayed each side of the bolt with thick black sealer (since silicone didn't do the job last year).

Last weekend as I was checking over the boat I found some spider cracks in the hull underneath at the front end of the cb trunk opening. They are wide enough to stick a thick fingernail in, but only 1-2 inches long, so I don't think this is the source. I'm anxious to get her in the water and see if my bolt work helps. Meanwhile, I guess we'll just keep pumping out the bilge every so often while sailing. Does everyone else's leak as fast as mine?

I'm trying to figure out your picture, and determine if this could be the source and how to even cure it if it is.
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

figuring out my picture

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:18 pm

Paul,

It is difficult to visualize how I took this picture, so I will explain where I cut holes, where I situated the camera and if you recheck my site, I have uploaded other pictures to show you what it is you are seeing.

I cut a 7" round hole in the floor of the cuddy, to the left and just forward of the cuddy opening (inside the cuddy). Note where the end of the black mop handle is near the front of the cb trunk near the uphaul cable. This is where I positioned the camera, (but through the access port and under the cuddy), and looking straight up along the front of the cb trunk. See this link:

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=179

This second shot, with the camera inside the cuddy sole access port looking back and centre towards the front of the cb trunk, shows the front of the cb trunk under the cuddy sole. You can see the cb pivot bolt and the cb access hole threads that opens to the cockpit above.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=177

The next photo has the camera placed on its back looking up the front of the cb trunk and up into the gap where the uphaul cable goes through the double walled trunk. You can see the blue nipple that connects one wall to the next with the cable running inside it. That was last fall's retrofit. (Of course you can't see the cable.)

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=180

This last picture, shows silicone filling the gap still noted in the above picture between the end of the nipple and where it seats on the forward double wall of the cb trunk. Hopefully this will stop the leak.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=178

I also replaced the rubber cb pivot bolt washers, as indicated in my previous post, so if there are still leaks, I will have to take the cb out, and check for spider cracks within the cb trunk. I don't think this is the case though as inspection by camera of the forward part of the cb trunk shows no obvious cracks.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only