Attaching Cuddy Mast and Hiking Straps

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Attaching Cuddy Mast and Hiking Straps

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 19, 1999 12:00 am

I need to attach a new cuddy mast section to the step and then to the bottom part of the mast hinge. There are holes already drilled in the step and likewise in the hinge. Should the mast be riveted or somehow bolted on? If riveted, should I use aluminum or stainless rivets? Thanks for any guidance.
I also want to attach hiking straps to the boat. I'm not sure where to attach these. There are two raised sections on the floor of the cockpit about a foot forward of the transom. Is this where the aft ends should be placed? Is the forward end attached to the cuddy bulkhead somewhere? If so, where and how far up? As with all DS IIs, there isn't a thwart amidships?
Thanks again....Pell

A Pell (pell-at-epix.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 1999 12:00 am

Pell..I broke out the screw holes at the step hinge on my DSII..and busted the hinge too when I "Toppled" the mast under bad conditions at the dock. When I replaced the hinge I had a friend with a machine shop saw off 1" of the mast (removing the damage) to allow for new screws. I then re-drilled and used SS screws. Seems to work great. I think the REAL stresses are taken up by the shrouds and forestay under sail...but I could be wrong. Just a cruiser...not a racer... :)

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 1999 12:00 am

You don't need a machine shop to saw off the broken mast section - a hacksaw and a file will do the job in 10 minutes. It worked for me. In regard to fasteners - you have an aluminum mast and a cast aluminum mast base so tere is no point in usung a fastener that is stronger than the surrounding material. If you ever have another accident wouldn't you rather the fittings let go before the mast does? Besides, mixing metals sets up a risk later on of galvanic corrosion .

If your shrouds are properly tensioned, the base it only carrying compression stresses (downward) so strength here doesn't matter.

Philip

Philip T (traquair-at-comteck.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only