DSII spreaders

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSII spreaders

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 24, 1999 12:00 am

My new '73 DSII has a broken spreader and the other one seems to have been "shortened" in the past. The shrouds currently run in a straight line to the mast, no spreading at all. I can easily make another pair of spreaders but I would like to make them the proper length. Anyone know what length that is?

David Patterson (frelsi-at-ime.net)

My 77 DSII Has a stock size Dwyer mast, #DM 284, I just bought new spreaders from them, they are 5/8" x 24". Go to the link to Dwyer on the opening page and that may be some help.

Don Godfrey (donshar-at-palmnet.net)

I just replaced the spreaders on my '76 DS II - they are 21 1/4 by 1/2" OD. I ordered them from Dwyer

Chris Carney (chriscarney-at-mediaone.net)

Postby Guest » Sat May 29, 1999 12:00 am

David

You didn't say where you are, but Strictly Sail in Cincinnati has them in stock. (or at least did last time I was there back in February) If you aren't in the area of Cincinnati (I'm in Columbus) you could probably call order from them too. I don't have there number but if you call information in the 513 area code they will give it to you.

JP Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 31, 1999 12:00 am

Being a machinist with keys to the shop on weekends puts me in an enviable position when it comes to "getting" parts as simple as spreaders for this boat, once I have the correct dimensions, but there are parts I might need someday that I can't fabricate for which I will keep your source recorded on my list of valuable sources. Thanks, David

David Patterson (frelsi-at-ime.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 02, 1999 12:00 am

I just replaced one of the spreaders on my '77 DSII. I got the 1/2" OD aluminum tube at Home Depot. After a cutting the tube to length, drilling three holes and cutting the end notch, I was back in business. Total investment: about $3.50 and 15 minutes.

Clint (clinton.frysinger-at-pdcdesigns.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 23, 2000 12:00 am

My son has just acquired a 79 Daysailor II. He had a damaged spreader that I had to refabricate. I used 1/2" 60/61 aluminum solid barstock. The dimensions were 21" X 1/2". I looks to be a perfect fit and the maiden voyage will be in a month or so on Lake Mendota in Madison, Wi.

Kenny (tombrinen-at-email.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only