DS II book

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS II book

Postby Breakin Wind » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I've spent about 10 minutes searching just now, and I can't find it, but I am nearly certain I've seen a posting from Roger in the past 6 months saying that his book is now available for download from some external purchasing site. Maybe I'm thinking of something else because as I said, I can't find the posting now, but... I am pretty sure he put something out recently about it. I'll keep looking.
Breakin Wind

Postby fatire » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Ideally I'd like to buy the electronic copy.
So Roger if you read this please reply.
Thanks!
Steve
fatire

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:42 pm

I found this email address on page 98 of his book...

roger02@mts.net

I had to reach out through email to get my copy. Hope that helps.

T-Bone
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Thomasjbrothersjr wrote:I found this email address on page 98 of his book...

roger02@mts.net

I had to reach out through email to get my copy. Hope that helps.

T-Bone

Roger doesn't appear to log in here all that frequently, so using his e-mail would indeed seem to be the best bet.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby MichaelC » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Roger, just purchased a DS II. Needs work. Very interested in your book. How do I get a copy? Sent an email with no reply
Michael
Oronogo, MO
MichaelC

Postby affrey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am

I want a copy I his book as well. I sent an email to him. I will keep you posted if I get a reply. Please do the same.
The "Bad Idea" 1973 DSII #6735
affrey

Postby affrey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 pm

I got am email reply with instructions to order a .pdf version of his book! I am pretty excited!!!
The "Bad Idea" 1973 DSII #6735
affrey

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 pm

I haven't been on line for quite some time, but the book is still available. The old e-mail still works but my new one is roger.conrad@mts.net and indeed the book is still available in PDF format only. You can get more info about the book by checking the first message, (a sticky) at the top of the DS II forum.
Roger

Postby parsons » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Roger,
I am late to the party, but are there any DSII books and/or CDs left?

Thanks,
Dwight
parsons

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am

Yes, books are still available as PDF downloads. E-mail me at roger.conrad@mts.net for details.
Roger

Postby kevlar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Great to see a recent reply.. any deal for one .pdf and a hard copy? I'll email you shortly.

-Kevin
Raritan Bay, NJ
kevlar

Postby andycayman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Received my book from Roger in .pdf format, great resource and I can highly recommend it.
andycayman

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Glad it's still available.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Desiderata » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi all; I am in need of a hard copy of Roger Conrads book "understanding,Maintaining & Repairing your DaySailer 2" Roger still can send PDF files but my old Apple I-Pad has lots of problems with down loading PDF files without crashing. It's old like myself. That is why I am looking for the hard cover version (soft will also due) If any of my fellow DaySailer2 enthusiasts are willing to part with Rogers fine book I would be very greatful. I am restoring a 1980 that is in not so great condition but i love projects now that I have retired and have time to sail. So I am thanking in advance and hoping for a copy.
Stan-NewHampshire
Desiderata

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:28 pm

There are print on demand services that will accept PDF files and return lovely paperback books (minimum order: 1). You can use them to print a PDF for your own purposes, but someone like Roger could also set things up so anyone can order a printed version of his book with guaranteed royalties to him.

I actually have experience with that. For the last several years I've been typesetting and publishing a set of textbooks by a fellow author using a service like that. You prepare a PDF to their specifications (not terribly difficult). We chose the 6"x9" page size, as that's a good format for a book, but I understand they now also do full-page. For black&white, the production costs are reasonable, and it includes a color cover (separate PDF file). You can set a "list price" and make the book public on their site, at which point anyone can purchase it directly there and they will forward the difference between list price and production cost to the author.

Sweet Deal. No more need for inventory or running your own shipping.

Some services allow your book to be listed on amazon or other book distributors, but the downside is that you need to fork over a substantial cut to the middleman. That can work out if you have a potentially wide-spread audience that is difficult to reach, but for something like Roger's book the direct distribution method from the print-on-demand service is probably a better fit. Anyway, that's my standing recommendation for anyone considering book publication for this kind of predefined audience.

(I'll be happy to give further details in private messages, because this is going off-topic for this forum).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer II Only