Daysailer II - Boom Crutch

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer II - Boom Crutch

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 24, 1999 12:00 am

Does anyone have the dimensions for the scissor type boom crutch that was standard on the DS II?

Chris Carney (chriscarney-at-mediaone.net)

Postby Guest » Fri May 07, 1999 12:00 am

I'm just now in the process of refinishing my crutch. It's made of two identical pieces of oak. Each one measures 52" x 2-1/2" x 1/2". There is a hole for the pivot bolt 3" from the top end. The ends are a bit hard to describe -- the bottom end is cut off at about a 15 degree angle (to the width), and the resulting shape is smoothed to a curve, sort of a an airfoil leading edge. The top end has a notch cut out such that when the "scissors" are opened, the boom fits neatly into them. This end is also smoothed, but into an S-curve. If you send me a snailmail address, I'll draw a template of the ends and send it to you.

Ian (pacurar-at-uakron.edu)

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 1999 12:00 am

It sounds like this is a common need on the Day Sailer. I built a boom crutch that will center the boom over the boat and also holds the mast when trailering. It may be like Ian's invention - mine is also made out of oat, but it has two legs that come together on a "U" at the top. One leg swings so it comes up even with the other when I want to stow it. The legs swing out in a "V" with the upside down "U" at the top, and the foot of the legs rest on the bench and the inside of the transom. I put two wooden "hooks" on the lower end of the legs which fit over the trim on the transom. I don't know if this means my boat is a I or a II, but this centering crutch is the best solution I've come up with yet.

Daniel (dknuts1-at-us.ibm.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 02, 2000 1:00 am

Instead of a boom crutch, I installed a "topping-lift" on my boat to prevent the boom from crashing into the cockpit (or onto the crews heads)while lowering the main especially under high-wind (high-stress) conditions. This addition also supports the boom for my cover which keeps the elements out while it's moored.

Jeff (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2000 1:00 am

It is not cheap, ($55, I think?) but D&R Marine sells the original equipment DS boom-crutch. I bought one and it is well made.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only