wannabe faster

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

wannabe faster

Postby Roger » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:14 am

I was sailing on my lake this past weekend when I was outsailed by an Edel 540. Now I know that as a small keelboat, he has a bit longer waterline than I do hence his hull speed was more, but his biggest advantage was his genoa. He was flying at least a 150.

My question to you DS sailers is this. Have you ever put on a larger headsail such as a genny, and if so id the size (130, 150 etc) as well as a comment about the performance of your boat? Did it improve speed, or just heel you over more, and make the boat a bear to handle? Did it decrease weather helm or did the boat stay relatively balanced.

Now I know that the measurements prevent the use of a larger sail while raceing but, I'm talking about light air cruising, where the standard jib was sadly lacking.
Roger

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:14 pm

Roger, I used a 150 genny on my first boat a DS II for cruising in Florida. The size being bigger also put more stress on the rig and pulled the bolt heads off the bolts holding the chain plate. I eventually switched to the heavy duty chain plates that solved this problem. As far as using the genny goes, you get more speed but do not point as well. Good luck, Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

thanks for the advice

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:21 pm

Wow! I wouldn't have thought of that, but it makes sense, as this rig is likely operating within the minimum margin of safety/tolerance. I think that in many cases people who acquire this boat do upgrade to the larger larger shrouds, and I have heard of some people replacing the chainplates. But if pointing ability suffers, any gain made in speed would be lost to velocity made good.

I would rather have pointing ability than speed. Your advise has likely saved me a few hundred dollars. Thank You.
Roger

wannabe faster

Postby jpclowes » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:27 am

Be careful using a Genny on any boat without a backstay. (Including the DS) It puts a lot more stress than designed, on the rig.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Return to Day Sailer II Only