Spinnaker on a DS ll

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spinnaker on a DS ll

Postby Jtwiss » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there has a spinnaker on a DSll? I would like to set up a Spinnnaker and was interested on what I would need to make the addition :D
Jtwiss

Try this

Postby PDuckX » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:12 pm

I used an Article that is available on Bob Hunkins website. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the DS II. You might have to make a couple of modifications.

http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/c ... icles.html

Scroll down to July 25,2004

P.S. Thanks Bob, your site has been a wonderful resource for some of those articles in the DS Quarterly. Maybe we could get some more of those posted on this web site. I'm sure there is a wealth of information in the years past issues for some of us newbies.
Andy - Former DaySailer Owner
PDuckX

spinnaker on DS II

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:13 am

I have a spinnaker on my DS II. It came with the boat, but did not have the hardware. The measurements document identifies the location of the top block at the 15' 5" mark above the mast partners (where the mast enters the cuddy roof). The max length of the wisker pole is 74" and must be mounted at 48" above the partners. The max spinnaker size is head to clew 15' 3", head to midfoot 16', and midfoot to clews 6'. A number shall be fixed to at least one side and be 10" high if racing. The weight of the spinnaker cloth may be no less than 1/2 oz per yard.

Other measures are unregulated, but most people attach their sheet blocks and cleats on the outside of the cockpit coaming well back say about 3 feet from the transom.

You will also need a turning block for the halyard at the base of the mast, and a cleat on the cuddy top. The traditional color for the halyard is red.

As indicated earlier, there are some really good articles on Bob Hunkins site.

I have some pictures of the whisker pole setup and storage right on the mast if you are interested.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only