Storage under seat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Storage under seat

Postby redtailseven » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:29 am

I have just bought a very used DS2 for restoration. My biggest concern is that the previous owner cut the entire port seat out and screwed a wooden top onto it. The resulting space is a useful, long stowage space about one foot deep, but it seems to be a major compromise of the bilge space. I'm thinking of filling the bottom and sides with bouyancy foam and sealing the space with fiberglass and using the space or repairing the hole itself.
redtailseven

Daysailer 11 with bench cut open

Postby captainseasick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:37 am

The Daysailer 2 was designed to be self rescueing. opening the bench destroys the water tight integrity of the bilge, and also to a lesser degree degrades hull stiffness. I can't imagine what the previous owner was thinking.
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby redtailseven » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:36 pm

That's what I thought. I'm wondering if, since the opening is there, would it be unreasonable to seal it off with a 3 or 4 inch deep compartment which would be handy. It would sacrifice about 5 cu ft of bouyancy in return for the stowage.
redtailseven

tupperware!

Postby captainseasick » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:36 am

Why do you need more storage space in a one design racer that was also intended for costal daysailing? Why not just buy a plastic container to store the few things you might need under the cuddy, and return the designed strength back to the bench?
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby redtailseven » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:43 am

Good point. This is my first larger boat. I guess I tend to try to maximize stowage in anything--kind of a habit after years of working in armoured vehicles and such. Since the oppotunity exists, does it make sense to fill the cavity with bouyancy foam before closing it up? that would guarentee the bouyancy even if the compartment is compromised.
redtailseven

Postby Bob Damon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Just a reminder that the class rules prohibit altering the flotation tanks which apparently has already been done. If at some time you intend to race this boat, it would not be considered class legal. From a safety standpoint the tanks need to be watertight.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby redtailseven » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:38 pm

I don't know it there is any class racing on Lake Champlain. I certainly won't be ready to race for this year at least.
seems obvious that I should repair the damage to the original configuration to preserve the option to race later. Probably should document it well also. Thank you all for your advice.

Greg Burbo
Milton, Vermont
redtailseven

Return to Day Sailer II Only