Jib slide rails

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib slide rails

Postby dpo628 » Mon May 29, 2006 9:27 pm

Hey guys..question. I was out on my DSII today. Great sail, decent wind, girlfriend was dry and happy :shock: ..anyway, I noticed that the slide rail setup was loose on the port side. I took my trusty leatherman and tried to tighten the screws. Turns out they just spun, and one just fell out! Now if I could get behind there, I could just put some nice fender washers in there..but since I cant..any ideas??? :?
dpo628

Postby KHFlanagan » Tue May 30, 2006 7:07 pm

When we first started racing our 1977 Daysailer II, we realized on one windy day that the screws holding the jib track were not set in any supporting material behind the seat backs. (One screw pulled out!)

West Marine sells a toggle bolt called "Toggler" by Fastco Fastener that we used to spread the load from the screws. We removed the old screws, drilled out the holes a little to insert the toggle bolt, and then threaded new bolts into the "Toggler". It works like a toggle bolt for drywall, except it doesn't fold in the middle. Ours have held up well after more than 5 years.

Although stainless hardware isn't cheap, I still think these are a better option than cutting inspection ports in that area so you can get your hand behind the jib track.
Kevin
Columbus, OH
KHFlanagan

access to the back of the jib rail

Postby Roger » Tue May 30, 2006 10:47 pm

I cut inspection ports from the cuddy to install ss bolts and fender washers. See the result at http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=123

and

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=194
Roger

jib track

Postby twista » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:55 am

Does the "toggler" screw allow you to move your jib/track back and forth...I found a slightly larger stainless screw at HOme Depot and screwed it in to replace my pulled out track but the screw heads are too large to allow you to adjust the track..
twista

Postby KHFlanagan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 pm

It is possible that rounded heads on the fasteners will be too high for the blocks to pass over. However, I believe the "toggler" will accept standard #10 sized bolts. You should probably open the package before you buy them to see what size head is on the bolt. You may have to look for bolts with flatter heads so the blocks can pass over.
Kevin
Columbus, OH
KHFlanagan

Postby dpo628 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks for the Ideas guys!! I will probly try the "toggler" thing first, just because I hate to drill big holes in my boat! :P
dpo628

jib track

Postby twista » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:25 pm

I used two togglers (one at each end of the track) and #10 flat head stainless screws for the middle holes(this allows the cleat and loop to move in the track upto the larger togglers screws)...It seems to be holding quite well and I finally put the boat in the water today and sailed for a couple hours...
twista

Return to Day Sailer II Only