Mainsail reefing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mainsail reefing

Postby Lloyd Franks » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:21 am

My "new" 1973 DS 2 has the spring device at the forward end of the boom to enable "roller reefing" of the mainsail. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems that rolling the sail around the boom would bury the block used for the mainsail sheet.
Or am I missing something?
Lloyd Franks

Postby sunapeesailor » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:31 am

Lloyd -

The roller reefing is a great feature for a quick fix! The block from the center of the boom is removed and the boom is controlled from the end instead of the center. There is a device known as a "reefing claw" that allows you to maintain control from the center of the boom.

Hope this helps!
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

reefing claw

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:39 pm

A picture of a reefing claw is at the following site, including a description of how to use it.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=120

I think that it is generally accepted that the roller reefing system is a really poor way of reefing effectively. It is awkward, and gives really poor shape the the sail.

If you find that you are reefing often, jiffy reefing is significantly more effective, easier to do while underway, although there is an initial investment of about $150 for reef points to the sail, and the blocks and cleats required to set up the system. Usually the sail modifications alone are about $90.
Roger

Postby Lloyd Franks » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks again for your help. This site is a great resource!
Lloyd Franks

Return to Day Sailer II Only