Oday not staying into the wind

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Oday not staying into the wind

Postby hairog » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:30 am

I've used my OdayII for one summer so far and I am very pleased with my 1985 beauty. One thing bugs me though...my little buddy won't stay pointed up into the wind when I'm alone and need to attend to something she will continue to veir off and even jib if not attended to.

Is this a feature on the OdayII? All the other boats I've sailed come into the wind and stay there without having to do anything. Do all OdayII do this or do I need to weight down the bow or something? It's very anoying and can be unsafe. Obviously I can't step the mast forward to change the center of balance.

Any suggestions to keep my Oday pointed into the wind unattended?
hairog

veering off tyhe wind

Postby captainseasick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:36 am

Your Daysailer 11 is WAY out of balance! This is NOT the boats fault. You have tuned your rig all wrong. Let out or lengthen your fore stay, and shorten your shrouds (side wires) till the mast head moves aft by a few inches. As the mast head moves aft, more of the sail plan will be BEHIND the centerboard, and the boat will swing up into the wind. Now, you have too much of the sail plan in front of the centerboard, and this is what is pushing the bow away from the wind. Go to the North Sails "one design" sail trim site and read the set up guide, and you will solve your lee helm problems
Mik
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby hairog » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Sounds like a plan. I just assumed that when I bought the boat last year that it was set up right.

Thanks
hairog

Return to Day Sailer II Only