first sail of my "new" Daysailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

first sail of my "new" Daysailer

Postby captainseasick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:05 am

I have lots of J=24, Merit 25 and big boat experience, including owning a Seidelman 30T, and finally a Sabre 362.,
Because of the short seasons on Cape Cod, I could no longer justify all the expense and effort of owning and maintaining a racer-cruiser. The need for large crews, and the risk of coming to a starting line with a 14,000 pound boat, also lost its appeal. I was given a 1970's Daysailer 11, that was headed for the dumpster, and spent the winter rebuilding it. Yesterday was my first single handed sail. HOLY COW! What a blast. I rigged the thing with every go gast trick I coud read about, and perpaired the foils, bottom and rig by the "book" and spared no effort or expense to make this boat everything it could possibly be as a "one design" racer. Till yesterday, I had never sailed one of these little boats, so on a beautiful day, in 12-14 knots on Nantucket Sound, I hoisted the new North main, and Jib for the first time, and left my mooring. HOLY COW! what a supprise to find this 30 year old boat plaining on a reach, and going to windward like a rocket. Great stability, great balance, great power just great!
I couldn't bre more surprised or thrilled with this little boat. I knew it must be a good design for so many of them to be built, but now I have first hand experience, and I am so happy that I want to share it with others. I can't wait to get started with a crewman and learn spinnaker technique, so we can really get "rockin"
enjoy all, these boats are amazing. I spent a little over $2000 on new hardware, and sails, and about 100 hours refurbishing, and am being rewarded with as sweet a sailing boat as I have ever had. What a deal.
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby Lloyd Franks » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Congratulations Mike. I did what you did...Had a Mac 26X and got tired of all the upkeep. And since I am a daysailer, it seemed silly to be draggin' that boat out. I too bought a Daysailer 2 ('73) and I'm looking forward to my first sail. After reading your post, I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Do you have a motor on yours? I'd love to sail without one, but I will have to deal with tides and currents where I sail (on the Gulf in Florida), so I will get one.

Thanks for the great post!
Lloyd Franks

motor

Postby captainseasick » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:45 am

I have a 31/2 HP Tohatsu 2 stroke, but in order to use it, the boat must have registration numbers. (boats without power do not require them) Since I don't want to go through the motor vehicle process, I do not plan to use it. I tried it out, and it powers the boat very nicely, but I am a very experienced sailor, who has good confidence and good control under sail in tight harbors, and rough conditions. I regularly and easily sail to and from my mooring. As lomg as any wind at all is blowing, I can't see any need at all for a motor, it just adds unwanted weight in the end of the boat for no real benefit to me.
this boat simply doesn't need it.
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby Lloyd Franks » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:27 am

Mmmmm... Wish I had your confidence. But, if you can do it, go for it! Maybe someday I will too. Fair winds.
Lloyd Franks

Return to Day Sailer II Only