hull number question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

hull number question

Postby sailguy28 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
My nephew just purchased an older Oday DS2 and I have a question about the hull number. The # is STRS3451C787. When he purchased it from the Red Cross, it had a US surplus sticker on the transom from the federal surplus that said Oday Starcraft. The trailer has U.S.N. stenciled on the fenders and the gelcoat is gray. Can anyone shed some light on this? CCSB sent information on who made boats according to sail numbers but this boat did not have sails when he bought it. We don't know anything else about its history.

Thanks,
Sailguy28
sailguy28

starcraft or spindrift?

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:43 pm

The last two numbers indicate the year of manufactur... 1987. In 1987 the only two manufacturers of Daysailers were O'Day which put out its first DS III that year, and Spindrift which were in their last year of production of the DS I with sail numbers 11596 to 11920. (O'day also used the same code (STR) in 1986 and 1987). The HIN is confusing because the hull number would exclude it from the Spindrift mfg, yet the S following the STR clearly makes it a Starcraft Spindrift, manufactured by Oday in 1987, confirmed by the transom sticker. There is no listing of the sail numbers that were on the DS III in 1987 which doesn't help your investigation any.

No DS II were made in 1987.

Having said that, I have one more source to check against, but don't have that resource available to me until tomorrow.

The code letter C indicates that it was manufactured in March. The middle four numbers 3451 are the original sail number or hull number.

The best way to tell the difference between a DS I and a III are the cb uphaul system. The DS I used a lever, the III used lines.

What leads you to think that it is a DS II?
Roger

hull number question

Postby sailguy28 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi Roger,
Wow, thanks for all the info. The only thing that led me to believe it was a DS II was pictures of other boats on the internet that listed them as DS II's. The CB uphaul is rigged with blocks and lines. If there is any other info I can give you just ask.

Thanks again,
Sailguy28
sailguy28

Then I am mistaken!

Postby Roger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:10 pm

If it is rigged with blocks and lines, then it is either a DS II or III. (Only the DS I has a lever. I now have that second resource available to me and your hull number of 3451, according to BOATWORKS (current issue) tells me that DS III built by Oday between 1985 and 1090 have unknow hull numbers. DS I's by O'day were only built until 1972 and DS II's by Oday were only built until 1984.

Assuming by the number that yours is a 1987 model, it must only be a DS III. These are characterized by higher aft quarters than the I or II's and a smaller cuddy opening.

Post or send a picture to roger02@mts.net
Roger

I may have erred

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 am

Manufacturer years of production from hull numbers to
Oday  (DS I)                   1957-1972  1 ?
          (DS II)   1972-1984  4522 12943
          (DS III)              1985-1990 uk
Can Am Sailcraft                    1974  6960 7000
Rebel                             1979-1981  11000 ?
Spindrift                     1982-1985      11596 11920
Precision                          1986-1988 13000 13113
McLaughlin                        1989-1990 13150 13165
Sunfish 1991-1994                      1991-1994 14000 14149
Cape Cod Shipbuilders   1994 to present 14250 still in production
Roger

Hull number question

Postby sailguy28 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi Roger,
This boat dose not seem to fit anywhere. There is a (painted over) decal that says Oday on the cuddy sides. The hull and deck are haze gray gelcoat that were repainted white and there was a lt. blue,dark blue and silver or gray stripe on the topsides. Do you suppose that someone who manufactured these boats could have built a run of training boats for the U.S.Navy and used numbers that did not jive with any other numbers? If we can't determine what this boat is then my nephew will not be able to race in a DS class.

Thanks,
Sailguy28
sailguy28

racing your boat

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:24 pm

unless you get the class measurer to verify that it fits within the specs of a daysailer... weight, loa, lwl, cb and rudder size, sail size etc.

Bob Damon is the class measurer and has helped many of us over the years telling us what modifications would violate the rules, and which would not, so he would be able to give you some guidance to get your boat measured to determine if it is indeed a DS hull deck and spars.

Bob is in the memberlist. You can private message him.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck,...
Roger

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:47 pm

Probably the best thing to do is post a picture so we can see what we really have. The Navy has used Day Sailers in the past for MWR facilities. We have a DSIII at our local club and I will look to see if those serial numbers are similar to the ones on this DS III. Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Looking at ODAY DSll to buy

Postby Daniel Westfall » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:57 pm

I have found a DSll I am thinking of buying. Maybe Roger can fill me in if it is a DSll and year and value.

The hull number is XDY10035M78J-D

The mast looks like it has been cut down and a Tabrinacle put on it. (Not sure about that) Also the rudder is missing and one would have to be built. The hull looks in good shape but the bottom paint is pealing off and it has a differant color behind it. The reast of the hull and deck are white. Original color I am sure of and the bow looks great with no indication of a collision with a dock. The front bow connector looks like it has been pulled out of the hull a little bit. The deck has no indication of any separation from the hull any where. All the hardware is original and might have to be updated. It has a simple boom vang which might be original also. Stainless steel with a wire about twelve inches long and a steel ball on the end of it. Does this sound right?

Look forward to any info you can give me.
Thanks.
Dan
Daniel Westfall

DS II

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:07 pm

The cod is a bit different than what is typically seen. Usually the final D would be right after the XDY, however I have heard of this variation before. Long and short... this is a DS II built in October 1978. According to my book (info on purchase available in the DS II forum) the model number, sail number and hull number should all be the same, it it has original sails. If not, and you want to race or restore it to original, the sail number should be 10035. The J designates that it was built in October with the two number before it designating the year... 1978.

The final D designates Daysailer. The manufacturer was O'day, as designated by the DY in the first part of the number.

DS II model number range from 4522 in 1972 up to 12943 in 1984. In 1978, only O'Day made the DS II. DS I ceased production by O'day in 1972, and DS III did not commence production until 1985.

The biggest differenece between the I and II, is that the I's had a lever to raise the CB while the II's and III's used line and blocks for a raising system. The biggest difference between the II' and III's is that the III's had a higher aft quarters, essentially changing the hull shape, thereby eliminating them from class sanctioned races.

As for the rudder, there are specs on this site (and in my book) re the size and shape. Check in the specs and measures document. (I think!) The originals were never painted on the bottom, so what you see peeling off is a previous owners work. The color you see beneath is the original.

My book also has a piece on repairing the bow eye. (Man! I have no scrupples!!!)

The boom vang you describe sounds original.

Congratulations on your find. Hope you buy it. Most boats of that era go for between $2000 to $2500 depending on the condition of the sails, trailer, and whether or not it comes with a motor.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only