Kudos to Rudy of D&R Marine

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Kudos to Rudy of D&R Marine

Postby hriehl1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Last week we were vacationing on Sebago lake Maine with our new-to-us DS II.

Tuesday evening we're out, I look up and blimey... 5 wires in the port shroud were broken and flapping in the breeze. We quickly doused the sails, motored home before losing the mast.... that was it for the evening.

Next morning at 9 AM I called Rudy at D&R Marine... he was very helpful and assured us that the order would be built, packed and shipped that day for receipt the next morning.

Well, he was right, and everything was perfect and everything fit. We had all new (heavier duty) standing rigging installed in 20 minutes after beaching the boat.

I just wanted people to know that D&R Marine is clearly into customer service, and from now on, if they sell it and I need it, I'll buy from them.

hriehl1
hriehl1

query size

Postby Roger » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:14 pm

What size of shrouds did you move up to Hank, 1/8" or 3/16? Also what kind of end adjusters do you have on yours, turnbuckles or shroud adjusters? The original stays on these boats was 3/32" ss.
Roger

Shroud Order

Postby hriehl1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:25 pm

I bought Rudy's $140 package... clearly an upgraded cable size, but the same shroud adjusters instead of full turnbuckles. I went the lesser route because Rudy very openly told me I'd need to drill out my chainplates if I went with the full upgrade, and I was in a vacation situation where I had no access to drill equipment.

I am also not exactly a performance sailer so I felt his standard upgrade would be sufficient.

BTW Roger, I received your book and find it very interesting. I have some questions I will post separately so the thread is not confused.

Hank
hriehl1

Postby dpo628 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:34 pm

ya know..i live like 40 min from Sebego and never have put my DSII in there :evil: I always just pop it into Casco Bay.
dpo628

Postby hriehl1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:42 pm

Casco Bay / Portland Harber will be a day trip for us before the season is over... have any suggestions as to good weekend launch sites, or destinations?

We're 30 min southwest of Portsmouth NH.
hriehl1

shroud adjusters

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:12 pm

Hank,

As I indicated earlier, I went with the 1/8 upgrade as well, and shroud adjusters, as I had been advised that these were quicker set up and take down that turnbuckles, if I was dry sailing. I was also advised that turnbuckles (unless wired) can unscrew over time.

I drilled out all of my rigging holes on deck to 1/4" from the 3/16 originals for the pins. It did not take much effort with a hand drill but if you don't have a bit handy while on vacation, I understand your situation.

I have not had any problem with the 1/8" rigging over the past 3 years, and generally, I have heard that the expectation for rigging should be up to 10 years.

Has anyone out there gone up to 3/16" ss rigging because they had a failure with 1/8"?
Roger

Postby dpo628 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:22 pm

hriehl1 wrote:Casco Bay / Portland Harber will be a day trip for us before the season is over... have any suggestions as to good weekend launch sites, or destinations?

We're 30 min southwest of Portsmouth NH.

Theres a public launch in South Portland( 5 bucks to launch) and its right in Casco Bay. You could sail for a week straight and not see all the best sites. Its very nice. You could sail right up to Portland Head Light, or just c/k out some of the MANY islands around Casco Bay. If you wanted to spend the big bucks..sail over to Diamond Island(about a hour or 2 from the launch) and have lunch in the resturant. E-mail me at doliver@maine.rr.com with any questions! I grew up on Casco Bay
dpo628

Return to Day Sailer II Only