Roger's Book, Need More Info

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Roger's Book, Need More Info

Postby hriehl1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi Roger... Love the book... Please excuse that I am an owner newbie though have spent lots of time crewing. So ownership issues are new to me.

Re: the topping lift, the eyestrap at the top of the mast appears to be riveted into the mast... is this something I should be able to do myself, or have done at a yard? Instead of rivets (which I don't have a clue how to insert), could I use aluminum self-tapping screws into pre-drilled holes with Loc-Tite?

We definitely want a topping lift, but want it at least cost while still of sound design.

Hank

PS: You were right about bilge water... a hand bilge pump took care of everything... each day we might have removed 2 or 3 gallons tops. We can live with that.
hriehl1

topping lift

Postby Roger » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:52 pm

Aluminum screws will likely break as you screw them in. SS screws will set up galvanic corrosion. Go to your local hardware and buy a pop riveter for about $16 and some 3/16" aluminum rivits. Drill a 3/16" hole, add an eyestrap, insert the 'nail' end of the rivet into the pop riveter and the rivet shaft into the hole, squeeze the handle and your eyestrap is attached to your mast. Repeat for the second hole of your eye strap.

I used 1/8" parachute shroud line, small nylon line will work just as well. Use a small shackle to attach your line to the eyestrap. My book as you note, has the details about the lower end.

PS. Feel free to contact me directly at roger02@mts.net

It was just a lucky break that I spotted your message as I do not check all of the forums every day.

A pop riviter is a good investment if you are going to be doing repairs on your boat. Buy one that can do different sized rivets, although the size you will use most often on the DS is likely 3/16"

If you need a picture of a pop riveter or how to use it, email me and I will pop downstairs and take a series of digital pics and sent to you.

Glad to hear that your water problem was minimal.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only