Mast crutch

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast crutch

Postby Lloyd Franks » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:37 pm

In the manual for the DS2 there is reference to a mast crutch. I do not have one on mine, but want to construct one. Were they standard equipment? Does anyone have one? I'd love to see how it is set up. Thanks.
Lloyd Franks

Postby calden » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:35 pm

A lot of people here have a scissors crutch. I think that Roger in CA has a photo of his at:

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=181

I replicated the paddle crutch. I took an old canoe paddle and cut out a little tab on the end of the paddle to fit in the slot under the floorboard (DSI).

I took a cheap-o sliding door chain lock, receptacle end, and cut it in half widthwise, and attached it vertically to the transom coaming right above the floor slot, with the cut end up. This made for a little receptacle for a short and wide brass screw, in the paddle, to fit into.

All this sounds very complex, but it's not, and it looks simple and elegant. It's nice to see a varnished paddle sitting in the boat.

Maybe a pic is worth a thousand, etc.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Orion » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:24 am

Mine is made from steel. Not only does it hold the mast up, but it also has a lower cross bar to hold the lights and license plate for the trailer.
Orion

Paddle

Postby KaiB » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:09 am

Carlos,

I think yours is the original solution (ca. '68 anyway). We have what appears to be an original paddle, shortened to about 4'. It has a boom receptacle on the top, and fits into the slotted "pad" in the hull. The screw is in the combing (it has a rubber washer), and a metalic slot is routed into the paddle.

It has an O'Day decal...I have yet to re-finish it as I'm concerned about maintaining the integrity of the decal. (i.e. good wintertime detail work).

Cheers, Kai...photos someday.
KaiB

Postby calden » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:42 am

Kai:

I'd love to see pics. I still haven't seen one of the original paddle crutches in a close-up. I searched far and wide for the original hardware and just figured out how to make something similar.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby dsheer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:52 pm

I think I have an original. See pictures posted under mast crutch in the DS1 section.

Dan
dsheer

Return to Day Sailer II Only