Got my DS II yesterday-needs repair

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Got my DS II yesterday-needs repair

Postby jaustin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:08 pm

I've ordered Rogers book but in the meantime, my boat needs some repairs; at the stem, the fitting to which the winch line attaches is missing (broken off). In a single hull boat it would be a simple matter to put nuts on the studs but what should be done on this one? This forum is great.
jaustin

Postby sunapeesailor » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi J-
Try this link:
http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopi ... ht=bow+eye
If it does not work, go to the repairs forum and search "bow and eye" to get the information. On my '66 DSI, it is easy to remove the bulkhead and repair as needed; on the DSII, it is more involved, but certainly easy enough for a moderately handy person to tackle.

Good luck!

Bob
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

fixing the boweye on the DS II

Postby Roger » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:38 pm

The book goes into some detail on this repair, so I'll just go over the basics of how to effect the repair.

From the bulkhead in the cuddy you will need to cut a hole, which you will later cover with an inspection port, so get the port first then use the cover to trace and cut a hole so that the edge is about 2 inches from the top and dead center of the bulkhead. Behind this is foam floatation.

Now around to the front end of your boat you go and drill out the hole for the existing stemhead using a 3/8" bit. Get a straightened coathanger and push it into the hole from the front of the boat towards the back, pushing it in about 18 inches or until you hit the cuddy bulkhead.

Now back into the cuddy headfirst, and start tunnelling using a keyhole saw, spoon, chisel, whatever it takes, removing a 4" tunnel of foam as you go. Eventually you will run into your coathanger which will guide you to that small 3/8" in hole. Remove the coathanger when you no longer need it as a guide.

You will feel a flat backing plate glassed into the stemhead. Clean out the end of your tunnel as best you can, using your shop vac. (Wear a mask too, this stuff is not good for you)

Have someone push in the new boweye, into the (freshly siliconed around the edge) hole to which you will add a ss washer and nut through the tunnel. It will be about elbow deep and likely the most awkward thing you do in this cuddy.

To tighten things up, use a socket wrench, with a couple of long extensions to get at the rear nut, again by feel.

While your arm is in there, you may as well dig up to the back of the stemhead, and remove the 2 inches of foam at the top of the tunnel at the forward end. This will allow you at some future time, to get to the nuts under the stemhead if they need tightening, or adding more attachment points, such as for roller furling etc, etc.

To finish the repair, add the frame of the inspection port onto the cuddy bulkhead, making sure to seal the flange well. Screw in the plate, and your floatation chamber is again watertight. Repair done!

The book has pictures!
Roger

Bow eye

Postby jaustin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Is there any reason to not use a "U" bolt (2 studs) to replace the broken one stud?
John
jaustin

no reason

Postby Roger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:30 pm

A U bolt would work just as well. You would have to drill a second hole, and make sure it goes through the backing plate as well. The choice for me was a personal choice to go with just the one bolt. I had a spare boweye sitting around, and I didn't want to drill a second hole. It was difficult enough putting a nut on that one bolt!
Roger

Bow area

Postby markst95 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Is the whole sealed area up front on the DSII filled with foam? What about putting an access hatch on the deck to be used later for anchor line, ect.???
markst95

forehatch

Postby Roger » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:34 am

I added a 9 x 14 manufactured hatch just for that purpose. I also molded an anchor well for my danforth, so that water did not have access to the foam. If you want I have pictures. Send me an e-mail at roger02@mts.net
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only