Original sails

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Original sails

Postby gabond » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:26 am

I *just* noticed that the sails on my October 1974 DSII are original, since they carry a date stamp of 7/74 in the corner of the foot. THis leaves me with a couple of questions:

--Is it common for sails to last this long, or has this boat just not been used that much?

--Should I anticipate some sort of failure in the near future? I ask b/c I am thinking of having reefing points installed this winter.

Thanks.
gabond

Postby KaiB » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:13 am

While your older sails might be in "good" shape...given the conditions in which you sail, I would wager that a fresh set will make a big difference in the performance of your boat.

If you can fit it into the budget, go new - with the reef points in your new sails.

Here is a copy of the PM Carlos sent me last week...

""My old sails were not in bad shape - no repaired rips or patches or re-sewn seams; nothing like that. THey were just old. Pretty sure they were the originals that came with the 63-64 boat. The only real damage-repair that had been done was that the headboard had been replaced at one point. But they were very flexible and soft, and the draft pocket was far aft. When soloing in a healthy blow I'd have to be hiked out and still have the sail way up against the shroud. Just no control, no nice foil shape.

I didn't fully appreciate this until I put on and tried the new sail. First of all it's stiff- 5.5 oz. It's like handling a giant piece of plastic. I was concerned it was way too much, but when it was on and the wind picked up it looked like pictures I've seen of racing boats - a nice wing shape.

I had one reef point put in and sail slides. He also put the battens in racing pockets - they're meant to stay in. Folding it is kind of tricky.

I'm hoping the sail will soften up a little just for bending purposes. But I like the way it feels when sailing. I'm a relatively new sailor and even I can feel a difference.

Carlos""

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Kai
KaiB

Postby shawn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:07 am

sails don't last that long, they just don't get thrown away.... I wouldn't spend money on sails that old ( unless you can really determine that they haven't been used). When I bought my '81 DSII it came with the original sails but I really don't know why someone would have used them unless they liked being frustrated. New sails for recreational use can last 5-10 years depending on use and when the cost is amortized over it's lifespan they're rather reasonable.

Shawn
DS 10542
shawn

Postby calden » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:31 am

Horse's mouth, indeed.

I've been out twice now - both times solo - with the new mainsail, and the difference is striking compared to the original (1964!) sail. It's so much easier to feel in control of the boat and heeling, and it's much easier to find that sweet pointing spot and keep it there by use of the tiller.

Mr. Ed
DS I #1653
calden

Postby gabond » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:47 am

Great replies! Still have newbie-type questions:

1) Would I be buying both (Neil Pryde) sails (D&R) for $670 <gulp> ?
2) Could I just get the main if the jib seems OK?
3) And are those Pryde sails suitable for my cruising only?
4) What is the deal with sail numbers? Seen that referred to, but have no clue where it comes from or what purpose it serves.

Thanks.
gabond

Postby shawn » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:13 am

I would buy both the main and jib from the same mfg, as sailmakers have different cuts and they are designed to work together. NP are great all around sails and you could definitely race with them (maybe if you were to go to the nationals it would make a difference). There are many other choices for sails, you would just have to get some quotes to compare costs. Though dividing the life span into the sail cost you would be looking at less than $100/year. Not bad considering the pleasure that you would derive from them! The sail number is just your hull number. (it makes it easy to identify your boat when racing).

Shawn
shawn

Postby KaiB » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Be careful here...the Sail number is not the Hull number.

The hull number list the sequential number of boats made (of all types) whereas the sail number indicates the number of a particular model.

The Sail number is often refered to as the Class number.

For instance: Our '68 DS-1 "Sadie B" has Hull number 15714 and Sail number 3261.

Kai
KaiB

Return to Day Sailer II Only