Tow Eyebolt Repair

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tow Eyebolt Repair

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 1999 12:00 am

I just purchase a 1974 DSII in excellent shape other than the eyebolt on the front of the bow is pulling out. It appears the only way to repair it is to cut a hole in the front air chamber under the Cuddy and fix it from the inside? Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any suggestions for a repair? I need this repaired before I can launch and retrieve it onto the trailer.

Joe Fram (jofram-at-zeus.kern.org)

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 23, 1999 1:00 am

The forward bulkhead is not an air chamber on the DS II, so you can create an access hole. The bow eye on my 1979 DS II was replaced by the previous owner after he broke it off while taking the boat off the trailer to paint the bottom. He was able to cut a hole in the bulkhead for a 4" inspection port, then reach the bow (you will need a long an/or nimble arm!) and bolt in the new bow eye. This inspection port also gives me access to the nuts for the bow cleats and stemhead (forestay) fitting.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only