cruising in a daysailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

cruising in a daysailer

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 1999 12:00 am

I'm planing on buying a used daysailer in the spring. I would be using it primarily for day sailing on the coast of Maine(not real interested in racing) My other interest would be beach cruising to some of the islands on the Maine Island Trail. I have some sailing experience(used to own and sail a tanzer 14) but am by no means an expert. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has done some cruising in a daysailer. Is it at all practical or am I just having a pipe dream?

Jon Sprague (Jonathan.Sprague.-at-state.me.us.)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 21, 1999 12:00 am

I think the Day Sailer will serve your needs well. Mine lives on a mooring in Casco Bay in the Falmouth anchorage and I have found it is a great boat for the area. It is sea worthy enough to take me the the outer islands (Cliff etc.) but has a shallow enough draft with the board up to let me get on the beach almost everywhere.

Where are you located? Maybe we could do a sail together early in the spring so you could decide if this is really the boat you want.

Justin Andrus (jandrus-at-maine.mail.rr.com)

I'm located in Bangor and could travel to the Portland area for a sail. My e-mail adress is Jonathan.Sprague.@me.state.us Thanx.

Jon Sprague (Jonathan.Sprague.-at-me.state.us)

I made a mistake in my e-mail address. The correct address is Jonathan.Sprague@state.me.us. Look forward to hearing from you in the spring.

Jon Sprague (Jonathan.Sprague-at-state.me.us.)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 22, 1999 12:00 am

Jon,

The DS is great for cruising, especially for sail camping. A couple years ago, just after Labor Day, a friend and I spent five excellent days sail camping in the Voyageurs National Park in northern Minnesota. We had winds ranging from non-existent to hang on for all you're worth. We tent camped at remote camp sites provided by the U.S. Forest Service. Gear consisted of enough camping stuff to outfit a small army, and enough food to feed Smokey the Bear and all his friends. A cockpit cover by The Sailers Tailor and a little motor made rainy day travel quite comfortable. Shallow draft made virtually any place accessible.

A couple years ago, a couple from the National Outdoor Leadership School in Wyoming took their day sailer to Labrador. Their account can be found in the Day Sailer Quarterlies and also in Sail Magazine. They also sailed the Baja.

Good sailing.

Lee
Little Petunia, DS 13030, S.E. Minnesota

Lee Peterson (leep-at-means.net)

Return to Day Sailer II Only