putting larger metal washers on CB pivot bolt

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

putting larger metal washers on CB pivot bolt

Postby gplankca » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:11 pm

I have identified at least one source of my bilge water - the pivot bolt leaks on both sides. I left the access ports open and let the boat get really dry in the Nevada sun, and then when we launched in Pyramid lake I stuck my hand down there real quick, before everything got wet, and sure enough there was leakage. About a gallon in three hours on the water.

So I ordered two new rubber washers and they arrived today. Some previous owner used silicone between the rubber washers and the cb trunk, but I don't really want to go that route. Shouldn't the washers do the job by themselves?

The metal washers on the pivot bolt are smaller than the rubber washers. Does anyone know whether washers of the same size make a better seal? Seems a shame to let all that rubber go to waste around the edges.

Gabe
gplankca

Postby gplankca » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Answering this myself after talking to DRMarine:

Rudy at DRMarine recommends using white grease rather than silicone.

The size of the metal washer does not matter since the leakage normally occurs on the inside of the washer along the bolt. The neoprene rubber washers are 7/16 ID to fit a 1/2 inch bolt, so it's a tight fit to begin with.
gplankca

Return to Day Sailer II Only