Replacing center board cable

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacing center board cable

Postby jdimare » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:59 am

I am trying to replace the center board cables on my DSII. I cut the old cables flush to the board. The old cables go right into the CB and are glued in place, I do not see any screws. The replacement cables I got form D&R Marine have a bracket on the CB end. How do I attached the replacement cable to the CB? Is it as simple as screwing the bracket to the outside of the board or do I have to cut a channel in the board and insert the bracket into the board and glue in place? I can provide pictures if need be.
jdimare

Postby shawn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:20 pm

I guess not many people have replaced them.... I replaced the cable that raises the board and I screwed the bracket into the existing location (as from your description it sounds like mine was replaced already). The lower cable was actually a line (rope) that did go into the centerboard and then the hole was filled with resin. I chiseled that out and replaced the line. I always wondered why I received 2 cables from DR marine. I guess this winter I will pull it out again and fit the other cable to the board. Although after reading the other posts about boards with an NACA foil I'm thinking about replacing it altogther.

Shawn
DSII 10542
shawn

Postby boone » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Accidentally deleted this from jdimare:

I figured out why I am confused by everything I have read in regards to changing the cable. For some reason my boat is different, I don't know if it is by design or an "improvement". My boat is a 1973 DSII. My center board has 2 cables, no ropes. Both cables are on the same side (aft side) of the board and the ropes/pulley assembly to lower the board is on the aft part of the center board hump not inside the cuddy bulkhead. I belive it is for this setup that D&R Marine sends 2 cables with the kit. I will post a picture in the photos part of the site. I am curious if any else out there has this set-up.
boone
Site Admin

Centerboard ropes

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:36 am

I saw your photo in the gallery and this setup is the same as my 1971 DS II.
Steve

Postby Reef » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:47 pm

I just saw the picture as well - same as my 74 DSII and a royal pain in the @$$ both in terms of operation and maintenance. The biggest issue is the cable for lowering the cb. The lead of the cable through the sheave mounted on top of the trunk is too severe and abrades the cable over time. The sheave itself is too small in diameter and there really should be an additional sheave mounted forward and below within the trunk to make for smoother operation. I inserted a ss pin in the trunk as an intermediate solution to at least make movement of the cable a little easier. As it isn't a sheave, it's going to impact the life of the cable...Anyone have any ideas on how to modify the system without going too crazy???? Bill
Reef

Return to Day Sailer II Only