bailer?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

bailer?

Postby calden » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:22 pm

Hey you DSII people:

I am doing some minor upgrades and repairs to a church camp DSII I stumbled across. I don't think the bailer is working properly, but don't have one on my DSI so I wouldn't know.

There's about an inch of water sloshing around in the back of the boat. When I step in the boat, I can see water bubbling up from the hole. There appears to be no valve action to keep water out. However, when sailing, no water comes in and the level is minimal.

Isn't the bailer supposed to have a ball valve or something? Does this mean the bailer needs replacing? Or can I just put a cork in it for general purposes and not worry about it? I'm not restoring this boat, just making it safer to sail for the casual church camper who hops on - replacing broken spreader brackets, worn halyards, rotten tiller, etc.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby shawn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Carlos,

I believe what you are talking about is the Sunfish style bailer. There should be a ball and gasket to stop the inflow of water when at rest. If you go to Layline.com they sell them as a pair approx $2 or in a set of 5 for $10.

Shawn
shawn

Postby calden » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:42 pm

Thanks!

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

bailer

Postby twista » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 am

I have the same bailer and replaced it with a brand new unit...bottom line is the bailer does do very much anyway even when brand new. I have a handpump and plastic scoup if get the water out...

JOn
twista

Return to Day Sailer II Only