Heavy Air

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Heavy Air

Postby kellyima » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:54 am

Hi all:

I was out yesterday with an experienced sailer in 15 - 20 mph shifting winds, and we did not handle the boat well. We'd be on a tack, then the wind would gust up from another direction. We'd either loosen the main sheet and luff, or point higher. One reason I sail is because its relaxing, but this was more like riding a roller coaster, with some concern for capsizing. We thought about reefing, but doing it in windy conditions in mid-sail is not something we wanted to try. It wasn't that windy at the mooring or else we would have done it at the beginning of the sail.

Any advice on this would be helpful. I've read the posts on sailing in strong air, and the advice is to reef, get a smaller jib that coordinates with the smaller size of the reefed sail, and always keep main sheet in hand. Any additional pointers on sailing under these conditions would be helpful, otherwise I will avoid sailing in over 15 mph winds. That would be a shame since there are plenty of calm days, when we pray for wind.

What wind is the upper limit for the DS2, when we should either not sail or go out with friends with a larger keel boat?

Thanks
Kelly
kellyima

Postby shawn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:22 pm

Kelly,

It sounds like you were out in real gusty lake conditions and I don't know anyone that enjoys that. A steady 20 is easier to handle than 10 gusting to 18. In the conditions you were sailing in you definitely have to keep the mainsheet in your hand and concentrate on the water so you can anticipate the gusts. Due to the effect that gusts have on apparent wind it will seem like the wind is coming from all over, add to that any real change in direction and it will make you want to quit sailing and take up knitting! Understanding that at times you will be underpowered and other times over, I would try to estimate the average windspeed and rig for that. Granted a keelboat would give you a better sense of security but it still makes for a frustrating ( "challenging" for the optimists out there) day of sailing

For winter projects, especially since the boat is new to you, I would go over the rigging and and other hardware (tiller-centerboard) and replace anything that needs to be done for safety. Since there are many different ways to set up a boat you may want to sail it a bit more so you know exactly what you want before spending money and drilling holes!!

Shawn
DSII 10542
shawn

Heavy Air Sailing

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Kelly:

I have a DS I and assume the DS II sails much the same. I also have been caught on the lake with 15-20+ winds, with full sail and that can be a "cheap" thrill. Mostly just surviving and getting to shore. I am assuming that you do not have 'jiffy reefing' on your boat, and neither do I. I did have two reef points placed on the main this summer and have been trying to experiment with different wind speeds and deciding when to reef to either reefing point. Here is what I have been trying to do. First, learn to 'heave to'. That will help a lot, and once you get comfortable with 'heaving to', then you can learn to reef while in the 'heave to' position. Now I must admit, I have not become comfortable doing the reefing on the water yet, but I am getting more comfortable in the 'heave to' position and trying to reef on the water. Like Shawn mentioned, it is easier in steady 20 mph than in 10 gusting to 20. About two weeks ago the winds were pretty steady and not very gusty in the 15-20 range. I did have the sail reefed to the second reefing point and I was very pleased how the boat handled itself, and I never felt as if I did not have complete control and did not come close at all to capsizing. Another tactic to do when you get into uncomfortable wind conditions, is to drop the main and sail on jib alone. It is a little harder to tack and beat to the wind, but the possibility of capsizing is greatly reduced. But, for experience sake, go ahead and get out on the water in heavier winds and practice, practice. As time goes on, you will become more comfortable out in heavy air. I'll tell you that heavy winds can be a little scary, but they can be great fun too. It is a real thrill when you are able to trim just right and the boat starts going great guns. That makes it all worth while. I will also admit, that 20-25mph is my personal upper limit. If winds around here are forcast to be around 25, then you can bet that there will be gusting to the 30's. At those speeds I will stay on shore. If caught out on the lake then I will drop the main and sail on jib alone.

You might think of installing 'jiffy reefing' and that is supposed to make reefing on the fly much easier. I am thinking of doing just that, but cannot figure how to configure the jiffy reefing for two reefing points, but that is another story.

Hope that this helps a little and I did not ramble on too much. Good luck and Fair Winds......

Gary
1966, DS I
"Dancing Girls II", #3235
gary l. britton

Heavy Air Sailing

Postby Reef » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 pm

Kelly,

You've had twp excellent responses to your concerns and I don't want to repeat what has already been shared...I had quite a similar experience yesterday here in Kennebunkport. I was sailing my DSII ('74 vintage) off of its mooring for the season. My route parallels a beach (Goose Rocks Beach if you've ever been up here) for about a mile before heading up a tidal river into a protected creek. The swell was a little more confused than usual and the fluctuating wind added to the challenge. Keeping the mainsheet in hand was something I took note of consciously as I was presented with at least a couple of capsizing opportunities. That being said, staying attuned to the forces on the boat and making near-constant adjustments made for an intense though safe close to the season.

I would agree that stronger winds are fine if they are constistent, and that you should get some experience in handling your boat in such conditions - though you should never go sailing if you have any doubt concerning your ability to handle your boat in the prevailing conditions.

Tuning your gear and checking everything thoroughly is also essential advice. I would check your standing rigging carefully and replace anything (shrouds, turnbuckles, etc.) that shows signs of corrosion or potential fatigue.

Here's to next season!

Bill
Kennebunkport Maine
Reef

Return to Day Sailer II Only