expanding my options

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

expanding my options

Postby markst95 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:53 pm

After reading up on all the unfavorable postings on sleeping on the boat, I'm still thinking of trying some "overnight camping" on my DSII next summer. I sail mostly along the Connecticut coast and unfortunately there are only a couple of spots where you can legally pull up and pitch a tent (Norwalk Islands and Selden Island on the Ct river). I fit in the cubby (kinda sideways) and would be with my 7 year old son, so I was figuring on putting in some outdoor carpeting and sleeping pads. I was also thinking of a boom tent option either for sleeping or just to keep some of the moisture out. Nothing permanent so it wouldn't interfere with daysailing. I would be anchoring within 20-30 feet of the shore and would spend most of the time on the beach, just need the boat for sleeping. Anyone tried this? I'm trailering the boat and could camp at an onland campsite, but that means unloading setting up the boat and taking apart\loading everyday. Dockage\moorings are just too expensive in the area to consider. Thanks for any input...
markst95

overnighting on board

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:52 am

I slept on the boat for the first time this past August. It was not as crowded as I thought it would be, and even though the temperatures were to go down to 6 degrees C. (About 44 F.) and my sleeping bag was only rated to 7, it was not as cold as I thought it would get. In fact I had to open the cuddy hatch after I retired, and did not close it up again until 0230hrs when it started to get a bit chilly. The thing that did surprise me however, was the discomfort of a 2” sleeping pad on a 51 year old body. Other than that however, it was fine. I did purchase a mosquito net, but I must have left it in the truck as it was nowhere to be found when I climbed in. The bugs were not too bad, and a bit of bug spray was enough to keep them at bay for the night.

The sun rose again before I was ready to wake and it did start warming up in the cuddy so I opened the hatch again at about 0600 hrs. Throughout the night, I did not get the sense of any motion. That may be different on a night were there is some wind. The only time I noted noise or motion was when someone from another boat at the dock, walked up to the clubhouse in the middle of the night, thereby setting up some motion on the water from the floating dock.

I am 5' 9" and fit ok between the forward bulkhead and the cuddy bulkhead, as long as I place myself as close to the outside hull as possible. I thought my feet would be cramped, but not only could I sleep somewhat spreadeagle, I could also turn over quite easily. I did note however, that I ended up piling a lot of stuff, (clothes, jacket, extra blanket) over on the other side, but that did not add to any problems sleeping. I would definately recommend camp foam mattresses/pads.

I have a sailcover over my boom, and with it guyed out on either side, created a nice dew cover over the cockpit. It did also restrict my stargazing to some degree, so you will have to choose your priority.
Roger

Postby Lloyd Franks » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 pm

An air matress may be more comfortable, and should fit. Then the "old bones" might not be too unhappy. I have a friend who overnights regularly on his Potter 15, and his cabin is not much bigger than the cuddy on my DS2...Now that I see there are other brave souls, I might just try it...And talk about "0ld bones"...I'm 66!
Lloyd Franks

air mattress issues

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:14 pm

If you are talking about the newer style foam filled air mattress, such as therma-rest etc, then you are likely fine. Actually in Florida you are likely fine anyhow. One of the problems with the older style air mattresses, (air only) is that the air eventually aclimatizes to the temperature of the cabin air or floor, then proceeds to cool you off as well. This is more of an issue for sleeping on the ground, but just thought I would mention that caution anyhow.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only