motor mount bracket

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

motor mount bracket

Postby jonjonsail » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi all! I have a 1975 DSII and I've been using a 4 hp, 2 stroke susuki which is mounted directly on the transom. I was wondering if using a outboard motor bracket, instead directly mounting on the transom, would substantially reduce ( if reduce at all ) the considerable vibration created when motoring? Many thanks.
jonjonsail

Postby Lloyd Franks » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:45 pm

I have a motor bracket on my DS2 and I've never been aware of any vibration. My motor is a two stroke, 3.5 HP. The mount is adjustable, so I can, and do, use the short shaft. I think having the motor "outside" the boat reduces its presence. Both when sailing, and motoring. If a motor mount is used, it should be reinforced, which will require an access hole and cover at the transom.
Lloyd Franks

more weight aft

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:21 pm

I had a 5 hp 2 stroke Suzi mounted directly on the port transom of mine, and moved to an electric motor to reduce the weight aft. If you add a lifting bracket, AND move the motor further back you will not only add more weight, but move that additonal weight further back depressing the transom even further into the water. This affects trim and sailing performance by increasing drag.

I also had no vibration with my Suzuki 5hp so I suspect you may have a bend drive rod or unbalanced prop. I would check those items first as I don't think moving it onto a bracket is going to solve that problem.

FWIW, moving to an 55# thrust electric did solve my trim problem, as I used longer leads and placed the battery in the cuddy, but my max speed was only about 3 mph, and it didn't have a lot of oomph in a blow. It was okay for getting in and out of the harbour, but it would not get me home in a storm.
Roger

Postby jonjonsail » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:13 am

Roger and Lloyd, Many thanks for info and ideas. I will definitely check the prop and drive rod.

This is a terrific forum!
jonjonsail

Motor Vibration

Postby Sean McGuire » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 pm

I have a 2.5 hp on my DSII with a motor mount and have never really noticed much vibration. The mount is one piece with no hinges, etc. Is the engine running smoothly? The solution may be as simple as a fresh tank of high-octane gas (I always run 93) and making sure your gas-oil mix is correct or maybe a new spark plug. Those changes made a big difference with the 30 hp on my mother's runabout.

Sean McGuire
Sean McGuire

Return to Day Sailer II Only