Sore Seat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Sore Seat

Postby markst95 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:18 am

I'd like to get some feedback on what is being used for cushions for the cockpit seats. Not for hiking out but just the regular benches. I've been using the square boat cushions but they seem to slip around and are a pain to use when tacking. Does anyone use a full length bench cushion? Or being a dingy sailer should I just grin and take it. After a couple of hours my bum gets a little sore...
markst95

Sore Seat

Postby Sean McGuire » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 am

I have thought about the same issue. My fellow DS captain calls it "fanny fatigue". I have considered full length cushions made out of water resistant material or closed cell foam mats. My additional issue is that the DSII seats have little or no back support at all. I was thinking of something like a Crazy Creek camp chair. It has padded seat and back with straps on each side that connect the two and your legs provide the back support. Still might be a little cumbersome when tacking, etc.

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Seat cushions

Postby Thomas P. Bews » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:05 pm

Look up bottomsiders.com. They make a closed cell foam cushion for any type of sailboat. These cushions are waterproof and float so they can be used as "floaties" when you anchor in a nice cove somewhere. They are available in all sorts of colors and can have the boats name applied to the surface coating. They are custom made for each boat. All that needs to be done is make a template of the seating area you want done. They can also come with snaps to hold them to the seat. I do not know how much they would cost, but to prevent "fannie fatigue" they could be priceless!!! :D
Thomas P. Bews

Sore Bottom

Postby markst95 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:35 am

At bottomsiders the closest listing was for a "daysailer 14" and they cost over $600, a little out of my price range. I've seen padded shorts for sailing, anyone every use these?
markst95

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:30 pm

I use the pants and shorts from Sailing Angles and they work great. There are others on the market. Check out Annapolis Sailing Products at www.apsltd.com (maye org).
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Day Sailer II Only